Which is your favourite desktop?

Most of the people think that they can not use Unix as desktop.

By this poll we gone tell them that we not just use Unix as desktop but also love different display managers like GNOME, KDE etc.....

fluxbox FTW!!!!!

Didn't we have similar poll a while ago ? On topic - KDE 3.5.9 on i686, OpenSuSE 11.0.

I added a few Desktops that arose on older versions of Unix. I will move this thread to the Desktop forum.

Then I will vote for CDE. :slight_smile:

KDE, Great audio Player (Amarok)

XFCE, Mostly older machines

FluxBox: Closest to THe common desktop Environent sihpped standard with Sun Solaris.

I think GNOME is the best one

1st place - GNOME
2nd place - KDE
using both of them :slight_smile:

KDE 3.5.7 openSUSE 10.3 ... :slight_smile:

gnome in debian...:b:

I use GNOME

KDE definitely -- the kicker, other panels, good clock alternatives (the default in Kubuntu and Knoppix looks like it was inspired by those electric National Debt counters or something worse, but that's too easy to change). and the fact that you don't have to jump through a whole lot of hoops to switch the sides on your (max, min, close) window buttons. I was a Mac user from 1992 to June of last year (G4's power supply went out) and every once in awhile I get the yen to window-box the "old way".

I almost never use a GUI on Unix, but if I really have to, it's CDE

Rgds
zxmaus

IMO, all UNIX GUIs are pretty rubbish... If I have to chose one, it would be CDE, but I never normally do. Plain old Xterm does for most things.

I dislike the trend of becoming more dependent on the GUI when there was no need. I also dislike the trend where KDE and the like keep incorporating Windows features everyone hates the most just to make it "familiar" instead of extending on features we want. I'd rather have tab completion for filenames than autocomplete -- tab complete at least waits to be asked before filling in a garbage wrong guess.

Worse, they're becoming the only way some bits of hardware can be used. Like bluetooth. They had excellent commandline support for it then gutted it and left it to rot. How're you supposed to automate that? Why should you need a working X server to use a bluetooth keyboard?

1 Like

That's mostly what I was trying to say. Thank you for saying it! :wink:

I had to pic FVWM, it is the most lightweight and configurable one I've yet to find.

Started out as a TWM mainiac, and the next choice was FVWM, been stuck there ever since.

Same here... I rarely use a GUI on a unix/linux server.. .and when I do, it is a web-based interface, which is my favorite, so I will select "Other"

If i have to choose, it would be GNOME...

GNOME Brov......:b:

XFCE with CDE look :wink: