What is Your Favorite Web Browser?

OK, please vote on your favorite web browser and comment why!

Only currently supported browers please!

Thanks.

PS: I am a big FireFox fan. FireFox add-ons rock!

I like Firefox very much too. Sometimes links/lynx is very helpful in problematic situations.
P.S. I voted for Firefox.

I use Firefox but only because the competition is worse. I have tried Epiphany and Konqueror but always returned to Mozilla / Firefox because they somehow felt too constrained. But I curse the memory footprint and instability of Firefox every day. (FF2 was more stable for me, but FF3 is nicer in terms of performance; still, lots of room for improvement.)

Surely bcoz of addons.... But FF3 is not that good... it consumes to much CPU and Memory.. But still I voted for FF.

I use kmeleon. light wieght.. and clean

Hmm, my browser isn't even mentioned: Mozilla. (the old, classical, fullblown, Netscape-inherited browser suite, not the Firefox derivate). I use Firefox (1.x) occasionally, but usually Mozilla is it.

The reason is partly habit: i was "raised" with Netscape when what i knew as Internet started to transform to the world-wide-wait we all come to love. A more tangible reason is: i like Mozillas capability to type text into the address line, press <cursor down> and <ENTER> and it will do a search on these words with my favourite search engine. I also like the "window-oriented" modus operandi of Mozilla better than Firefoxes "tabs-oriented" way. This is just personal taste: i like several windows better than several tabs.

On top of that i use the other parts of the Mozilla browser suite (Mozilla Mail and Address Book - i detest IRC chatting and i write my HTML code in vi) on a common basis, so there is no waste in installing a complete suite instead of a standalone browser.

I dislike the memory leakage as everybody and am acquainted with (but still hate) having to restart the browser every few weeks anew.

For IE i have no purpose at all, not even when i have to work on Windows - see here.

bakunin

The old Netscape Mozilla brower is not currently supported and support was discontinued in Feb 2008, as I recall.

This poll is for currently supported browsers.

I prefer we don't open "a can of worms" discussing all the unsupported browsers of days gone by :smiley:

There you have it: i haven't updated my browser for such a long time that i have not even noticed that. In this case i will cast a vote for Firefox, because if i ever have to switch browsers i will probably use Firefox and see how much i can make it look and behave like Mozilla.

bakunin

For what it's worth, Firefox embraces and extends the use of the location bar as a general input to search engines etc. The little Google box next to the location box is basically redundant. In FF3 they call it the "awesome bar"; whoever came up with that term should be forced to work in marketing.

You may try SeaMonkey too:

My vote is for Firefox.

My vote is for FF :slight_smile:

Am just against its memory usage. At the end, you don't get anything for free :wink:

Firefox 3, because of 'tabbed browsing' and hassle free plugins, such as 'Speed Dial' and Gmail Manager.

Firefox - It still has some memory problems but its the best for security IMO.

The evolution of the experience...

I cut my teeth with lynx back in '92. I clearly remember stumbling across ncsa mosaic (and hating trumpet winsock) in late '93. In 1994 I must have tried a good (bad) dozen "next great thing" browsers before settling on Netscape.

Firefox is my poison these days. It behaves pretty consistently across systems, and aside from a handful of Windows specific client application requirements, serves me fine.

You forgot 'telnet' :wink:

BTW: FireFox has a very handy FTP add-on.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684

(still waiting for an SSH add-on)

Also, very useful is this web developer add-on:

Both add-ons highly recommended :cool:

Firefox for me - with Opera only for those pesky IE sites that the Fox can't handle (still some around). :slight_smile:

Keep those votes coming in!

Also, I have created a new related thread:

http://www.unix.com/web-programming-web-2-0-mashups/82511-post-your-favorite-firefox-add-ons-here.html\#post302239741

hmm, 21:1 for Firefox so far - i think that is glaring.

bakunin

Firefox because of add-ons and tabs....:slight_smile:

OBTW,

In July 2008 FireFox surpassed IE as the most used brower to access this site, and usage for FireFox continues to rise steadily each month.

I was amazed when I saw this statistic.