SPARC T4-1 Boot Error: ERROR: /packages/zfs-file-system: Last Trap: Trap

When I boot a Solaris Sparc T4-1 server running on Solaris 11 I get the following error:
ERROR: /packages/zfs-file-system: Last Trap: Trap

The above message scrolls for a while and then blank screen and no response from the console.

Hello,

I see you reported a similar issue here back last August:

Solaris boot error

Is this the same error, or a different system and/or error ? If it's a different one, how did you resolve the issue above last year ? And would the same solution be applicable again now ?

In any case, one question I'd ask is if there are any other messages being logged either side of this one ? It's not too likely that this is happening in isolation. Normally if errors are happening that are severe enough to stop a system from booting, you'll at least get messages indicating things like a filesystem could not be mounted, or that other hardware and/or software errors occurred. Do you see anything else being logged ?

And then lastly I'd ask the time-old question: has anything changed between when this system last successfully booted, and now ? Have any disks been replaced, re-seated or removed ? Has the CPU or memory or any other aspect of the server's hardware changed ? Were OS updates or upgrades attempted ? Any change at all, no matter how insignificant or irrelevant it might at first appear, could be useful to know about.

It is the same error and as it was our development system we could not recover it last year and as it was being looked after by somebody else in the org I couldn't work on it.

We cheked the logs if there are any hardware faults and there are none.
At the Ok prompt when I boot the server by using the command boot or boot -F Failsafe I get the message [ERROR: /packages/zfs-file-system: Last Trap] and the same message scrolls for a while and it is all blank.

I tried to boot using a cdrom
boot cdrom -s

then when to the shell
and I tried to mount the root partition but it says not found.
mkdir /a
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a

error msg: mount: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 or /a, no such file or directory

Thanks

A trap within a trap.
Have never seen that.
I would run the POST checks.

What command should I run for the POSt checks. Can you please let me know.

This suggests that your filesystem(s) are ZFS. Do you know?

Therefore,

doing this to try and view a UFS root filesystem won't work.

You need to try something along these lines after booting into single user from DVD and at the root shell prompt.......

# mmkdir -p /mnt/a /mnt/b
# zpool import -f -R /mnt/a rpool
# zfs set mountpoint=legacy rpool/ROOT/solaris
# mount -F zfs rpool/ROOT/solaris /mnt/b
# cd /mnt/b

Now take a look around the filesystem

When done......

# umount /mnt/b
# zfs set mountpoint=/ rpool/ROOT/solaris
# zpool export rpool
# init 6

'init 6' will reboot the system. Remove the DVD. See if that works and allows you to view your rpool. Post back any errors in doing that.

1 Like

I ran the command zpool import -f -R /mnt/a rpool an got the following error:

solaris zfs: WARNING: can't open objset for rpool/oracle
solaris zfs: WARNING: can't open objset for rpool/ROOT/solaris
cannot import 'rpool': I/O error
Destroy and re-create the pool from
a backup source.

Well there's your instruction. Destroy the pool and restore from your backup. The pool has been corrupted. Do you know what happened to do that?

Can you please tell me how to do that. I don't have a backup of the server. We had a power failure and the server went down abruptly.

Running any system without a backup strategy is a very bad idea.

You can try this:

Since the system won't boot (from hard disk) you will need to boot from DVD into single user to try this.

Thank you very much for your help. By following the link and the instructions that you have in your previous post I was able to boot the server and bring it online. When I run the following command I get the error
zpool status -v
pool: rpool
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
scan: resilvered 0 in 0h0m with 4 errors on Tue Feb 14 15:18:55 2023
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    rpool       DEGRADED     0     0     4
      c4t0d0s0  DEGRADED     0     0     0

device details:

c4t0d0s0  DEGRADED        scrub/resilver needed
            The device is missing some data that is recoverable.

How to fix the error?

I assume that you know that this disk is not in a RAID1 mirror, so try this:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.