Nagios Forum

What are the chances of getting a Nagios forum? The community is really lacking for a good place to work issues in Nagios. There just aren't any good places to go that I've found.

Thanks,

Docster

Great idea, but we need more than one person to make a forum successful.

Do you have a large group of people in your community who will discuss Nagios here?

I don't personally have a large following. I'm new to Nagios, but Nagios is very popular and I wouldn't be surprised if many of your users are using it. Maybe you could take a survey? I know it's also popular in Europe.

Thanks,

Docster

That sounds like a good idea, but when you say "forum" you are actually refering to a "subforum" inside ULF right?

Although Nagios Exchange provides plenty of useful scripts and snippets, I agree it lacks a decent (and free) supporting community.

You know Nagios Enterprises has a forum for the community!

Nagios Enterprises would like people to sign up for support contracts. I'm trying to get user based support. But, thanks.

I don't mind starting a Nagios subforum under our IP Networking forum, if Docster is of the opinion, as a Nagios user, that the current Nagios forum is too "hard sell for support contracts".

When I used to use Zabbix I don't recall their forum using the Zabbix user forum to sell support. Nagios is different in their forums?

Just as an idea: instead of an subforum dedicated to Nagios, why not generalize. One subforum for all kinds of monitoring software, be it OPC/OV (whatever HP calls it now), Zabbix, Nagios, Snort, ...

FWIW, mikeo is a user id of one of the Nagios advocates; so I guess he posted in response Docster's request for a Nagios forum here.

Maybe the whole thread is a "set up" since Docster only has three posts to date, all in this thread and there is a reply from one of the Nagios team members promoting their forum?

Looks suspect to me, to have a new member register just to ask for a Nagios forum, followed by a Nagios team member, who never posted here before, mentioning the Nagios forum.....

Sounds strange, best ask them and let hear what they have to say(?).

EDIT:
I forgot to say that I second what pludi says. This would also have the side effect, that nagios would be only one of many other monitoring tools and so there would be no real advertisement for it. Not more as for the other tools being mentioned.

Certainly seems like a Nagios advertisement to me, the way the whole thread was presented and replied to by two new members with no other posts.

Sorry guys, but I'm not posting an advertisement. Mikeo probably was and I don't know anyone here yet. I'm a UNIX/Linux admin and I've been really busy since my last post. And, I'm on vacation for 10 days starting Monday, so I may not reply for awhile after today. But, I'm real. I'll send a copy of my photo ID. You can call me or my boss. I work at Johns Manville in the world headquarters in Denver, CO.

I've never had any experience with Nagios until about a month ago. My boss asked me to set it up and I have done so, except for some issues for which I just can't find any answers. I signed up here because I was looking for Nagios support and hoped there would be some here, and this looked like a good, busy forum site for UNIX/Linux. I haven't posted on anything else yet, because I'm pulling my hair out over a couple of Nagios issues. However, I'm sure I might be able to lend some expertise to some of your other forums as time allows.

I like Pludi's idea of combining all types of monitoring software if there isn't a large enough crowd for Nagios.

So, it looks like you have quite a few knowledgeable people on here and I would like to find the ones who know Nagios. Since Nagios is very popular, I thought it might be nice to add a spot for Nagios.

Thanks,

Docster

Any SNMP stuff in general would be good - from 'what's up gold' -> nagios or zabbix

@Docster
Thanks for clearing up.

@Neo
Let's give it a try. If anybody ever starts trying to advertise anything in any of those tool's subboards, we will become aware of it fast (I think) so actions can be taken in time.

@Pludi
HP calls it currently OM (Operations Manager for <insert your OS>) - the AIX-client was a mess :wink:

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

---------- Post updated at 07:28 ---------- Previous update was at 06:43 ----------

Also, what will you call the forum (sub-forum) and where will you put it? Thanks again.

There is no decision from Neo yet if there will be one, so we have to wait and see :slight_smile:

What should we call this subforum?

How about "Infrastructure Monitoring"?

I second fpmurphy's suggestion.

So do I.