Mac Studio Arrives 16/05/2022 - 23/05/2022 by Standard Shipping

Just ordered a new Mac Studio, not the top of the line model. My 12-core MacPro (Late 2013) has died and instead of replacing the logic board (for a least $600 USD for a 6-core and maybe more) for such an old mac, I decided to go for for the "new tech" M1 in the Mac Studio.

$2,475 USD in local currency here (am sure it is less expensive in the States):

Waiting for delivery in a number of weeks:

Let's see how this new family member works out!

Mac family:

• 2 old MacBook Airs
  • 1 old MacMini (2012)
  • 1 dead 12-core MacPro (Late 2013)
  • 1 new 10-core Mac Studio on the way
3 Likes

enjoy, i'll wait till my macbook pro (15" 16gig 2014) gives up the ghost before splashing out

My eyes would protest strongly if I did any serious work on a 15" screen.

My coding and serious work is on a 35" gaming monitor and my second screen (for debugging and running tails on log files, etc) is 27".

Both my MacBook Airs are 13" and I only use them for "travel emergencies" when I do not expect to need one.

The thing I like about the Mac Studio are all the ports and the fact I don't have to buy a monitor; since I have two already.

I think my 12-core MacPro is going to be fully retired, as I have already changed out one logic board (under warranty). That mac runs too hot most of the time; and since it has been broken, our electricity bill is down nearly $20 US a month, LOL.

Looking forward to the Mac Studio, for sure.

2 Likes

15" retina its fine when travelling, at home it'll be plugged into one of 27 , 28, 32 " monitors

I 'work' mainly on a HP Z800 workstation I acquired for peanuts and happened to have 100+g 'server' ram from a previous engagement ( company went bust so I 'inherited' the memory )

3 Likes

Congratulations - by all accounts this is a very capable system (and of course, an excellent UNIX workstation, it must be said :slight_smile: ). I just treated myself to a new 12.9" iPad Pro (the M1-based one with 16GB of RAM) a week or so ago. I tend to pretty exclusively use my iPad Pro for everything, though I do have to use a Windows laptop for my current job. I also have a Lenovo laptop that I run a Tribblix VM on just for my own amusement and for keeping myself familiar with what's going on in the Solaris/Illumos world. My main Linux system is a CentOS container that I use for some Web and e-mail hosting duties, and for any other Internet server-related tasks I ever need to do.

1 Like

Yes I agree.

While I am a huge fan of Linux servers, especially for remote applications in data centers, for desktop workstations I obviously prefer Macs.

I decided against more than 10 cores for my new Mac Studio workstation because I do not need more cores and prefer less heat generation.

Because I have a number of Ubuntu servers in remote data centers I work with Linux for all "non-desktop" server tasks.

I am very much looking forward to this new Mac Studio and hope it does generate too much heat. Heat generation in workstations really annoys me and my 12-core MacPro from 2013 generated an unacceptable amount of heat and that was very disappointing.

Cool that you ordered the new mac but i do wonder about 1 thing though.

Will you only run macos or will you try that new linux distro (for fun or for real) also? Are all the programs you use (no idea which btw) also compatible with the arm architecture?

And lastly will you in the near future perhaps replace the logic board of the old mac or just sell it as is.

I will only run macos on this mac, more-than-likely, as I have plenty of linux computing power in data centers. I like both macos and linux; but I prefer macos for my primary workstation. Servers are different, and I prefer linux for servers.

I have no idea. If some program don't work, I'll run them on my old macs until they do :slight_smile:

I am not sure. That 12-core mac from 2013 is currently with a local shop (not Apple certified) who asked me to let them try to fix it. They have a good reputation and I have known them for many years. They asked for some time and if they cannot fix it , they will try to find a cheap logic board replacement. I told them no reason to only look for 12-core boards, I am OK with 6 just to have it working (cheap) and hopefully the 6-core for this old macpro generates less heat.

When I hear back from them, I'll update.

Shipped from China ... on the way

• Mac Studio
  • Arrives Thu Apr 28

All I can say for far is "WOW".....

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 7.57.33 AM

Received this Mac Studio yesterday evening and the packaging was the nicest, most elegant packaging I have ever seen with any tech device.

Found a bunch of older cables (not USB C, Lightening 4) and started up this "bad boy", installed a bunch of apps; and then got down to business.

Installed all the command line tools, rbenv (using brew) and a few Ruby versions, and a Rails gem and cloned a git repo I have been developing. Set up rbenv to match the Gemfile and bundled.

Wow.

I was shocked at how fast the Mac Studio could bundle a big Rails app.

Then, I noticed that these new 2022 M1 Macs can run iOS apps. So, I went to the app store, and sure enough, I could download and run the same Satang Pro crypto exchange app that I run on my iPhone. Very impressive!!

I run a big 32" curved gaming monitor and that huge monitor always overheated my old MacPro (late 2013) and my old Mac Mini. Not this baby. I've been running the same monitor on this Mac Studio and it has been running very cool. This is also very impressive!

So far, I am "over the moon" with my new Mac Studio. Today we visited some local techie stores and I picked up a Lightening 4 (USB C) to HDMI cable and some Lightening 4 to plain-ole "USB A" adapters and all worked fine.

Will buy some "shipped from China" Lightening 4 (USB C) to Lightening cables (for iPhones and Apple keyboards) and maybe Lightening 4 to Display Port and a Lightening 4 to HD enclosure (USB Micro-B, for external drives) and I should be good to go.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Studio
  Model Identifier:	Mac13,1
  Chip:	Apple M1 Max
  Total Number of Cores:	10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
  Memory:	32 GB

.... and this is a "budget" model :slight_smile:

Wow. So impressed with Apple. Expensive, but well done!!

5 Likes

Yep, we techies love new toys!!!

2 Likes

haha, totally agree:

1 Like

The Sign out at the bottom looks like the ultimate verdict :wink:

1 Like

thinking of how i can convince my wife that I need a new mac .....

2 Likes

I really like this Mac Studio. It's my favorite mac so far, without a doubt.

It runs fast but cool and seems energy efficient.