Linux: "software freedom of choice"

Except when I use someone else's equipment (which is RARE for me) I use 100 Linux kernels; the majority of the time I use Linux distributions but I also use a Linux kernel on my smartphone and my Chromebook; I do happen to be using one of my Chromebooks at the moment; it's a bit faster for a few use cases, though my lightest Linux distributions (such as antiX or Puppy Linux) are "light" as in resource efficient. The Chromebook hardware I happen to be using has a nice screen and also happens to be fast too.

And your question is?

Are you asking for opinions, or what?

By all means start a discussion but to do that there has to be a question somewhere.

1 Like

I got the feeling @masinick is anti-Apple and pro open source and pro Linux without acknowledging the core Apple OS is full open source and that you can install a full open source window manager on Darwin.

It seems more of an anti-Apple rant because the arguments are one-sided which is normal for anti-Apple, full open source, no iCloud, no iOS, no Apple ID advocates.

Like you @hicksd8 , I did not see the point but a rant against Apple.

... so even though not ALL Linux efforts are razor focused on one environment, I appreciate the "software freedom of choice"...

I think that is one feature that does set Linux apart from many other OS's, in that it scales all the way from small embedded systems to top-tier super-computers, and everything else in between. Many other OS's tend to be deployed in one particular industry, sector or application, whereas Linux has become fairly ubiquitous nearly everywhere. The kernel has to support a vast range of different architectures and usage cases, which is something not too many other OS's have to do.

On the other hand Apple are so successful at what they do because of their laser-like focus on the consumer sector. Everything they do is done with that in mind, after they began to steadily re-focussing their business on that area from the early 2000s onwards. Also in Apple's favour is the fact that they control the whole stack, from hardware, firmware through to the software. So they can make a cohesive solution that works well, and avoids many of the problems that other OS or hardware vendors have to worry about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.