Do You Play Video Games?

whom do we get to play chess against? IBOT? :stuck_out_tongue: If IBOT loses will we finally be allowed to smoke in the forums?(keke ...I hate chess because I always lose at it.)

But with the exception of chess I do like turn based games that require certain amt of thinking and also action and where you can spend hours searching for clues and shooting with blood gore spatter everywhere. like in Fallout1 and Fallout2 where you can use minigun to pump somebody full of lead. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also from time to time enjoy old games of yester-years that have gone under the radar and playing them over and over again to look for the bugs or better way to win them. I used to check out the "underdog games" website that hosted all the cool old games in the early 80's and downloaded them for free then used dosbox to play them. cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

check the link if you interested to know more. Games from 1979 - 2005 Home of the Underdogs

The new Chess game is too buggy to play...... unfortunately.

I like to play ring chess, but it's not an electronic game, yet.

We now have some primitive video games like Asteroids and Space Invaders in the UNIX Arcade:

The UNIX Forums - the Arcade

... for your weekend pleasure :wink:

I've been playing the arcade games. It surprises me how close to the original look / feel they are.

But I keep getting this same error when the game is over:

Any ideas?

Yeah, right

I can, I've been playing on Solaris today and was on MacOS yesterday.

Yes, this is a bug in the code with large user ids that has been squashed, and should be working / saving now.

Hm... I noticed one thing about the Tetris game though. The way the pieces turn on pressing the up arrow key is opposite to the way they flip in the normal version (at least the one I've played). And I've really played this game :). I and my brother used to have score wars (we went all the way up to 62000+ as far as I remember).

This turning in the opposite direction is totally messing up my calculations... though of course its just a matter of time (which ATM is in short supply).

So far, we are having trouble getting games to work with the vB arcade systems that are not part of the 8 game distro.

Chess will not connect to the game server (spent all day yesterday on this, LOL).

501 Darts will not communicate scores with the arcade system.

The good news is that the 8 default games are working OK, and some are really fun to play. Getting other games up and running propertly have been really challenging so far :eek:

I remember nearly feeling like I was going to die from excitment when MW1 first came out. Ever since playing BattleTech against my cousin for days on end I've been fascinated with that universe. Not such a fan of the new MW games (too simplified for my liking) but for some reason I loved both the MechAssault games so I'm not all that self-consistant there...

I could never get all that far in nethack but loved the game nevertheless, not played it for some time though, I'll have to break it out and have another go sometime :slight_smile:
So far I've resisted Eve although it looks like the first MMO I could really get into if I allowed it :wink:
The Wii is fantastic! I got given one by my work a while ago (I'd probably not have bought one otherwise) and absolutly love it. Because the interface is so intuitive, my family of non-gamers can play it quite easily. Currently playing Lost Winds and looking forward to getting Boom Blox and trying the Prince of Persia Wii games soon.
Wanting the balance board next, looks very cool.

That last score of yours is an impressive one! My (now second place thanks to you :mad: :slight_smile: ) score had my wrists aching for a good hour or so afterwards :slight_smile:

That seems to be the case on other boards too with this game, I suspect it's proving to be a bugger for everyone :slight_smile:

There's a huge number out there. For obvious reasons, I'm quite a fan of 'Scuba Sweep' if you are looking for candidates :slight_smile:

I'm a fan of the video arcades, the shooters in particular are good but the big custom cabinet tank games are always great fun. Tokyo Wars is still my favourite (the entire seat slams back with each tank shell you fire) closely followed by T-Mek (nifty 8-player hovertank game). Various head-to-head mecha-style games have come and gone, all fun but they never seem to stick around the arcades all that long :frowning:

I've been into games for most of my life but don't have enough free time to really go nuts on them. Started out playing Pteragon, Asteroids and Arcadians on the BBC-b and progressed from there. The commodore 64 was the first computer I owned myself and it got a regular workout playing games like Mail Order Monsters, Defender of the Crown, MULE, Racing Destruction Set and Maniac Mansion. Oh how I wished for an Amiga 500 :stuck_out_tongue:

From there, I moved through Star Control (1 then 2), Dune 2, Alone in the Dark, Syndicate, XCom (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown), C&C, Red Alert, Tie Fighter, Warcraft 2, Halflife (and the Natural Selection Mod for it), Blood, ReVolt, Carmageddon, Colobot (programming meets space exploration !!!) and Homeworld Cataclisym (sp?).

Consoles provided me with my gaming fix from then on, mostly with Knights of the Old Republic, Extermination, Tekken 2 (my flatmate and I both developed 'playstation thumb' from that one after epic challanges against each another), Halo 2 (of course), Breakdown (still the only 1st person fighter I've ever seen). Silent Hill 1 gave me the heeby jeebies (very scary babies with scalpels - shivers) but the rest of that series did little for me.

Halflife 2 was my most recent fixation on the XBox but that was a while back...

Oh for more time eh? :slight_smile:

Fond memories indeed!! I've never since had that amazing feeling of exploring space that Star Control 2 gave me... brilliant game, and the wacky music was brilliant. Add to that the original Prince of Persia and Another World, and all of the LucasArts adventure games... *sigh* where have games with that kind of content gone?

Too right! I've just (finally) completed Doom 3, a bit too chlaustrophobic for my liking - what happened to the open spaces? I guess breathing on Mars would be an issue! I love MMORPG but just don't have the time to commit, Eve would be one on the top of my list if I was to play. I'm consoling myself with Freelancer, which is fun so far.

Dungeon Siege 1, LOA and 2 were excellent. Amazingly I have never played Diablo 2, loaded it up recently and it looks and feels so gumby... I guess I *might* see past that.

Anyway.. I've been having the 'unable to submit score' problem with Lunar Lander, also it just seems to go around a loop of the first 3 screens (i.e. goes back to the beginning when you land on the final glowing landing pad), is that what's supposed to happen??

:eek: I can't believe I'd forgotten that game! One of my alltime favourites (sometime known as 'Out of Thie World' too BTW). I gather there's a hi-res remake out there of this (not that I can find it though)

I dodn't get the unable to submit score issue (although soemtimes it says that but then works anyway). Tt's certainly the same 3 screens over and over though, but the gravity jumps up quite quickly so it does stay entertaining as the difficulty really starts to climb after the 6th or 7th time through.

The atmosphere in that intro haunts me to this day. :cool: Another unforgettable one, Total Annihilation... and if you loved that, check out TA:Spring, a free 3-D online mulitplayer remake of TA. Awesome.

ETA: Did you mean this?

That's reassuring, I thought it was a bug. Shame there's not a bit more variety... kind of groundhog-day!

I am playing rogue right now!

Urban Terror!! On Linux.

I recently bought/assembled a new gaming rig. Antec case, Gigabyte motherboard, E8500 Intel, 8 gigs of DDR2 800MHz ram, 2.25TB of Seagate disk, ATI 4870 512M, Sound Blaster X-Fi card, and a Logitech X-540 5.1 sound system.

I reloaded Half-Life 2, Starcraft/Broodwar, Diablo II, Doom 3, and Command & Conquer 3. I also bought Dead Space and Fallout 3. Been playing mainly Starcraft and Fallout 3 recently.

And for the other side of the coin. I'm also playing Role Playing Games (for the folks who don't know, that's like Dungeons & Dragons). Right now I'm running two Shadowrun games (fantasy cyberpunk) and a Paranoia game. I just finished playing in an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game although I missed the ending because I was on call.

Carl

8gigs of RAM :eek:??? You could render movie scenes while playing Dead Space!!!!

Well since Windows XP won't recognize it anyway, it's really overkill. It was cheap though. $49 (after rebates) from Tigerdirect for two 2 Gig sticks. I just couldn't pass it up.

Plus being a Unix geek, 8 gigs of RAM doesn't seem like all that much. I do remember back when I used memory managers to eke out the last few kb of RAM for my DOS stuff. And I remember my first computer, with 2kb of ram. :smiley:

Carl

I was going to say...if your running a 32 bit OS...you have 5 gigs of RAM just eating up power...can't wait for the day when the gaming companies finally get into the 64 bit world and I can go ahead with putting a new gaming system together...

Those were fun days...himem.sys was a godsend...mapping to the upper memory blocks to free up enough base memory just so Wolfenstein would run...I managed to get 610k free...had to force some base processes into the upper memory region to do it... :confused: dos scripting.

I quit "hardcore" gaming a few years back...trying to keep a job while getting only 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night (1 or 2 on weekends) isn't something middle aged geeks can handle for long...good thing for coffee and dew.

Too bad that minesweeper isn't included inside the definition of 'computer games'. I'm pretty good at it. It developes your analytical and mathematical thinking.
There was a game I used to play when I was very little. I don't know how it's called, but the main character was a rabbit (or a bunny) that had to collect keys or something in different worlds - there was a field world, and a chess world, and a beach world and a snow world. I wonder how it's called. I think I was pretty good at it.
But that's it, I never played any "popular" games.
If you can recommend on anything that doesn't include war or violence, and that is good for beginners, I'd love to know. (And the most important thing is that it won't be addicting. Yeah, that's a hard one.)