Do You Play Video Games?

Do you play video games? If so, what are your favorite games?

We need a clarification here. What is a video game? Would any computer game not count as a video game? I play a lot of games, but not the kind that needs an overclocked GPU.

Very rarely for me. If I'm using a computer, chances are I'll be doing something "serious" whether it be for work or personal.

And even if I do play a game, it's something "geeky" like Mahjong or Sudoku.

Cheers,
ZB

A few times a week. It may turn into every day for a week or so too. I usually play role-playing games or real-time/turn-based strategy games. I am currently playing Diablo II - infact, have been playing this game since 2002 or something. Some of my other favourites have been Age of Empires (II and III) and Civilization III.

I remember back in college, we used to play Civ III till 3 am, go to sleep with our alarms set for 6:30 am, wake up and get playing again!! And we used to attend our classes at 8:30 am too!

--Edit
BTW Per, I would say that a computer game is also a video game, but not the kind that comes bundled along with the OS (no Solitaire, for instance).

Commando and IGI are my favourites

And '' Chess ' all time favourite :slight_smile:

"the kind that comes bundled along with the OS"... what kind is that? OK, your definition excludes "spider" which I sometimes play. My favorite two computer games right now is Einstein and dicewars. Dicewars is a flash game that I have downloaded.

I have attached a zip file with dicewars and a few other flash games I like.

A lot, stuff like CounterStrike DeltaForce, I love MMORPG too...
When broadband will be available (in a country far far away :p) I think I'll get addicted to one of the above :smiley:

Hey! When I submitted the poll, I was thinking along the lines of state-of-the-art video games like Wii, Xbox, MMORPG... like that. On the other hand, any video game will do -- this is the lounge :slight_smile:

I used to play a lot, 12-24 h with usual human needs for breaks, this is gone now :slight_smile: We even won a tournament for CS once (that was the big addiction :))
I've played Wolfenstein, Herretic, Duke Nukem, all kinds of First Person shooters, a game with karate (year 1993), Super Mario, and many others, mostly just to chill.
For the last three years I spent totally 4 hours playing some stupid games.

I am more like ZB, very little game playing. When I do play my choices would invariable be like those that Blowtorch listed, or the simpler ones like Perderabo listed. I'm not much into the big graphics games that need to buy a grapics card which is more powerful than the computer it is plugged into :slight_smile: though I do ejnoy seeing the animation / real time rendering improvements which are made as each new thing comes along.

Thanks for the attachment, I might take a look at these. What about that online game from a few months back? The one with the chain reactions? I seem to remember you spending some time at that one :wink:

I'm not a fan of console based games, as I feel that too much of an investment is needed for console games - with a PC, you can do more than just play games.

I used to play a lot of video games but now it's only a couple times a month at best. The little gaming time I have is mostly Magic: The Gathering.

My favorites are (were) Mechwarrior series, Civilization and Civ II, Age of Empires series, and Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City (not a big San Andreas fan).

It is a flash game, Neo. After I first played it and decided that I liked it, I copied it from my browser's cache to a save directory. So from the second time on, it is a downloaded game, not an online game. Some people object to my use of phrase "I downloaded" to describe copying a file from my browser's cache to a save directory, but I don't know what other term to use?

Anyway, it (gridgame) is included in the zip file. I still play it once it is while, but I now have a very simple method to easily rack up thousands of points. It no longer poses an interesting challenge. :frowning:

I just noticed that your poll stops at "every day". No "every hour"? Or better. :smiley:

I can't see a problem with calling that downloaded, nor can I think of any better way of describing it. It's just not a manually initiated download :smiley:

I just got another amulet of yendor actually...So rogue and any nethack derivative. I play eve online about every other day for an hour or two.
Just got a Wii and now mine is the coolest house on the block, A truly well built device and each one comes with a small horde of 8year olds.

I used to play nethack a lot. But I have not played a single game yet this century. I might download it and start playing again. Nethack is very impressive for a text based games.

Also, I used to play various Dikimuds and that is where I started using the name "Perderabo" (I always played a mage). Dikimuds were intended to be played with a telnet client. Part of the fun for me was writing custom clients that automated a lot of the game play. But muds are too antiquated now... I won't be playing those again.

Although it's not really a "game", I am totally addicted to "Second Life" (http://www.secondlife.com). There is a Linux, Mac and Windows client, and it's ALL FREE. It's a true 3D online world with rich creation tools, and you can make real money if you want to. It does require a fast (1.5MB DSL/Cable) connection and a decent video card (64MB is playable but more is better).

I also like "World of Warcraft", "HalfLife2", and I just recently got "DEFCON" which looks straight out of the classic movie WarGames. For Quake lovers, check out the free Linux game called "Tremulous".

I just found this site over the weekend: http://www.GamersWithJobs.com

Cheers!
/lost+found/.cassj~

WOW - hunter just beginning

if it is on the internet its consider a video game? I love GO

Chess, Backgammon and Poker

In case you have not noticed, we have installed Chess in the forums:

Chess Club - The UNIX Forums