At last, the final debate of the UNIX Wars is over

Well, the matter is finally definitively settled ! Any time someone says that a Mac is not a UNIX workstation, we can show them this image:

This was the first response I got to the prompt "An image of what a modern-day UNIX workstation might look like" from Microsoft Bing Image Creator.

3 Likes

Hahaha

Well, I cannot image any reasonable tech person who actually uses macos for the past 10 years " would say using a powerful macos unix-based workstation is not a UNIX workstation.

My M1 Mac Studio is amazing. Yes, it's UNIX but it is also much more. I can see why a "purist" might discount Apples version of UNIX, but personally I have never been a fan of "purist thinking", as it is too narrow, in my view. YMMV :slight_smile:

Architecture

Main article: Architecture of macOS

At macOS's core is a POSIX-compliant operating system built on top of the XNU kernel,[76] with standard Unix facilities available from the command line interface. Apple has released this family of software as a free and open source operating system named Darwin. On top of Darwin, Apple layered a number of components, including the Aqua interface and the Finder, to complete the GUI-based operating system which is macOS.[77]

Huge Mac Studio fan, over and out.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

am mulling which model to ask santa to get me for xmas (santa == me) to replace my trusty ol 15" retina mid-2014 macbook pro ... if i go top-end i could fly to the states and buy it still saving few 00£'s !

You should definitely move to the latest Apple ARM chip technology.

I have an M1 which works very good and I'm very happy with it; but it I was going to make a new purchase, the latest M* ARM tech would be very nice to have.

See also:

And my personal favorite:

1 Like

Love the look/prospect of the 16" M3 laptop, extravagant but it's only money right :thinking:, what price happiness :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.