What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Hi,

What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Thanks.

There's not really a simple comparison, they have pretty much nothing in common except the concept of files(but not folders).

For example: Windows uses drive letters to specify different partitions. Linux just puts different partitions inside different folders, and can put them wherever asked(i.e. / is one partition, while a folder inside it, /home/, could be attached to a different partition, or just left inside / if not ).

Linux has a very simple but powerful system for managing users. Users are simply lines of text inside /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. Managing users inside Windows on the other hand is very complex and involves many separate files for each user.

Linux does not require a GUI. Windows has one built in inextricably.

And on, and on, and on. Linux was not built with Windows in mind and doesn't relate to it.

One thing a lot of people ask me is "why would I use Linux over Windows?". Is this what you're trying to get to?

One of the main reasons I say is because the resources you don't have to waste on Linux for the GUI that you don't need. Windows you NEED a GUI, and therefore, it wastes a lot of resources.

Linux can also be far more custom than Windows. Much easier to do as well, you can modify the kernel and add modules, or do just about anything you need.

If you don't know Linux, Windows may be the OS for you. However, if you're wanting to learn Linux, setup a VM of some sort and throw Linux on it.

But like Corona said, there really is no comparison.

Sometimes I liken it to the difference between a car and an orthopedic surgeon.

Sure, both of them can help you move, but in totally different ways and concepts :slight_smile:

I was explaining this to someone the other day, and said something like:

"Windows was designed from the outside-in; and Unix/Linux was designed from the inside-out".

This is kinda like the comparison to a building a house. When you have a strong foundation; the house is strong and can survive the test-of-time; but when you have focused on making it pretty on the outside; but then the house is easily blown down in a heavy wind.

In other words, if someone decides to build a great operation system with a solid working inner-core; it ends up looking like Unix/Linux; because that is what a solid, reliable, working operating system looks like.

There is really no comparison, as others have said. The design philosophies were and are so different.

Ahh great, thanks for the answers guys!