What Came First?

What came first, the Chicken or the Egg? :smiley:

Seeing as chickens are descended from dinosaurs, it would have to be the egg.

A circle has no end.

Agreed. The old Chicken or the Egg riddle does not take into account the scientific fact of the evolution of the species.

However you are ignoring time's arrow.

The arrow goes straight through the circle!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I would say the chicken came first. But this new article says otherwise - CNN.com - Chicken and�egg�debate unscrambled - May 26, 2006

That article points out something that I have always noticed about this riddle. It does not say "chicken egg", it says "egg". If any species of animal laid an egg prior to the arrivial of chickens, the egg came first. The egg preceded the chicken by hundreds of millions of years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Egg came first, i guess at the very beginning it all started with a cell :smiley: ...

Also the first chicken's parents were not chickens, but the chicken did come from an egg.

I think there was an article about 2 months ago that stated it was the egg that came first, i think basically it evolved from another living creature and 1 day this creature layed " the chicken egg "

dont know how much of it is true tho but who can really say.

I think the question should be fine tuned to: What came first the Chicken or the Chicken Egg.

Which came first....

It makes little difference, really, IMHO.

Some "creature" creates an egg which which mutates. This happens again and again over time. So, the egg comes first, regardless if we call it an "egg" or a "chicken egg".

What is the definition of a "chicken egg"?

Is it;

(a) an egg layed by a chicken,

(b) an egg from which a chicken will emerge; or

(c) an egg made from chicken (akin to a chocolate egg)?

I see your point.

If a horse gives birth to a donkey is it a donkey or a horse?

Since most would say, I think, it is a donkey, likewise, a chicken is defined by it's egg, not what it lays.

For years I have thought that the egg came first, and I still do. Though I accidentally clicked that the chicken came first...

Fixed poll (subtracted one chicken, added one egg).

Ohh, thanks.

Chicken egg DEFINITELY came first ... :smiley: