Web site doesn't display as it should

Ok. Let's try this again. I have a web site (http://catch22.zapto.org), It was displaying fine (the images weren't distorted as they are now) last week. Also, it displays fine when accessing it on localhost. I'm using Apache2 as the web server, and Firefox and Chromium as the web browser(s). Not sure what else to post here.

Hello,

Can I ask what it is that appears to be wrong with the site for you at the moment ? As of the time of writing, http://catch22.zapto.org/ is loading for me, and the images don't appear distorted, and nor am I seeing any placeholders that would indicate that images have failed to load. The menu bar does look a little strange perhaps, with some menu items appearing at the very top of the page, then there is what I presume should be a header image for the page, then the rest of the menu items beneath that. But the main body of the page (in terms of content such as the actual terminal window screen shots and such) does all look OK however, or at least seems so to me.

Speaking generally, the appearance of a Web page is not typically affected by the Web server software stack itself, with some very specific exceptions. If a Web page is not rendering how you would expect it to, then this tends to either point to an issue with the actual Web content, or with the client browser. By way of full disclosure, I'm browsing the site on an iPad Pro running iOS 15.4.1, and have tried loading it both with and without ad blockers, and in all cases it looks the same to me.

If you can come back to us with a bit more information on what precisely it is that you think is wrong, then we can take things from there. But for me at least right now, nothing seems obviously out of place on the site except for the broken-up menu bar.

Could you possibly take a screen shot of the web site? (Maybe. Maybe. It's just on my end that i'm having problems)...

Hi,

Sure - I can't fit the whole page into one screenshot, but the topmost section at least looks like this.

1 Like

how's this ....

Stupid question: How do I attach an image here?

That isn't how it's supposed to look, either.

Hi,

OK, interesting. That's definitely not how it looks for me. I just tried from a CentOS 7.9 server running Firefox 91.7 as the browser, and it looks pretty much exactly how it looks for me on Safari on my iPad Pro (i.e. with the oddly-broken-up menu bar/header image combo at the top).

1 Like

One follow-up question for you: are you absolutely certain that the site your Web server is configured to serve for a hostname of localhost is the same site that people get when browsing to catch22.zapto.org ? It could be that the site you get when you visit localhost is not the same site that you get when you visit catch22.zapto.org, which would explain the fairly substantial difference between the appearance of the two.

It might be an idea to check your Web server configuration and logs and make sure that these two definitely point to the same site - and if they don't, then to ensure the updated content you're using for the localhost VirtualHost gets copied across to the catch22.zapto.org one.

catch22.zapto.org is an external site from me. It's basically a shell account that runs all sorts of things for me.

Hi,

Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly: the content for "catch22.zapto.org" is not hosted on your local server, but is instead on an external Web server ? If that is the case, then the issue is almost certainly that the content being served by your local Web server is not the same content being served by the remote Web server, which would explain the discrepancy in their appearance. If the two are on different servers, then you would naturally expect the two URLs to return different sites, unless the content for those two sites was exactly the same.

Well, here's the thing. It was working just fine up until a few days ago.

Hi,

OK - in that case, the question becomes of the fundamental classic questions of troubleshooting: what has changed between before (when it was working) and now (when it is not) ? And are you absolutely certain when you compare both servers that they are configured to serve the exact same content as one another, and that when you look at the content on disk, that what is on the remote server is the same as what is on your local server ?

1 Like

That's what I can't figure out. AFAIK nothing has changed. I copied the HTML from my local machine, (localhost) and it still isn't working.

Hello,

One thing I've noticed when having a look at your site using the Web Inspector Extension for Safari - it tries to load a JS include file which returns a 404, specifically this:

http://catch22.zapto.org/assets/js/main.js

Could that missing file be contributing to your issues, perhaps ?

Well, I certainly didn't delete anything..

Hello,

Well, that file is definitely not there:

$ telnet catch22.zapto.org 80
Trying 157.245.235.69...
Connected to catch22.zapto.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /assets/js/main.js HTTP/1.0
Host: catch22.zapto.org

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 16:24:15 GMT
Server: Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
Content-Length: 279
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL was not found on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) Server at catch22.zapto.org Port 80</address>
</body></html>
Connection closed by foreign host.
$ 

Ok. I added main.js (not sure if it's the correct version), it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hi,

Sorry, but http://catch22.zapto.org/assets/js/main.js is still returning a 404 for me just now, so that still seems to be missing from the live public site.