UTG932E Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator (Mini Review)

For all of us who like electronic projects, the UTG932E Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator looked like an exciting budget arbitrary waveform generator.

Yesterday, after a long delay due to the pandemic (the migration to the new forum is finally finished and so I can enjoy electronic projects again!), I finally received the one I ordered from AliExpress and tested it quickly.

This is an interesting, almost "cute" little arbitrary waveform generator, and so the main test I did was to see if it could generate a square wave at it's advertised spec of 15MHz.

Results: Look at this picture:

You can see the (partial) specs here (full specs here), where the square wave output is specified to 15MHz (for the 932E model).

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 9.42.05 AM

Don't get me wrong, this is a very "cute" little "toy" arbitrary waveform generator and is kinda fun. It has a nice small form factor and is easy to use. It can produce a sine wave up to 30MHz no problem, but it really struggles with a square wave. Even at 1MHz the square wave begins to degrade, and is partially degraded by 5MHz. By the time you get to the full spec of 15MHz the square wave looks almost like a sine wave.

It's kinda funny, in a "mad, modern world" way....

The companies send their new products out (for free) to all the "YouTube influencers" who create glowing reviews of their products; but the reality is far from what the "influencers" on YT are saying.

It used to be (in the "pre-influencer" days) that false advertising was by the ad companies or marketeers for products; but now people can make a living on YT as an "influencer" doing the same thing, misrepresenting products for profit.

Overall, this product, the UTG932E Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator is a "toy" and does not even come close to its spec of producing a square wave at 15MHz.

So, I hope UNI-T will read this honest, truthful review and seriously improve this device or change the specs to match the actual output of this product. It's best to be honest and truthful about these products, don't you think?

2 Likes