Using full cpu and system resources in linux after uefi bios reset

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a system with Intel i3 10th gen 10100 processor and Asus h510 me motherboard. Yesterday I have issued load optimal settings in uefi bios. At present full system resources are not being used.

I have brought my system 20 months back. I installed Arch Linux 4 months ago and compiled ffmpeg git source code. after that I have ran ffmpeg in three terminal emulator windows I mean I ran three instances of ffmpeg in three separate directories.

At present my system is running linux kernel 6.4.11.

While running the system I opened an application called lxtask task manager and I have noticed that cpu load is from 70% to 84%.

Yesterday my system stopped working and there was no display in monitor and so I have removed ram from motherboard and inserted again. After that I entered into bios settings and selected load optimal settings.

At present I have booted into Arch Linux and started three ffmpeg instances in three separate directories. After that I have opened lxtask task manager and this time I have noticed that cpu load is from 57% to 68%.

My cpu base frequency is 3.6 ghz and it's turbo frequency is 4.2 ghz.

I have issued the command cat /proc/cpuinfo and found that frequency is 3.6 ghz.

Finally my complaint is the quality of the video converted from h264 codec to av1 codec is not good.

I think that linux kernel has not detected all of the system components correctly.

I think that kernel has not detected the cpu frequency and it's flags or extensions like mmx, sse etc.,.

I have entered into bios and enabled over locking and even no use.

I want to remove old configuration files of cpu and ram and use new ones.

My system is working properly I mean I am able to play media files and watch videos but the average load is not as expected.

Kindly try to suggest how to recognise all the system components correctly and make average usage of cpu between 70% to 83%.

Regards,
Rupesh.

I think that a good output video will be produced when the system works properly as expected.

May I know how to generate new configuration files for cpu and ram.

Hi cpu usage is fluctuating between 56 percent and 69 percent instead of 83 percent. Previously I have noticed maximum number of times to be 81 percent.

Can I think that my system is working properly.

My current requirement is I want quality video output from ffmpeg.

Is there any relationship between quality video output and cpu usage. I think that if ffmpeg take more cpu resources it produces quality output.

Please suggest weather my assumption is wrong and can I safely ignore the cpu usage.

Hello,

I don't think you generally have to worry about the Linux kernel not correctly detecting what kind of Intel CPU you have, and nor would it normally be a concern that the kernel would not fully utilise the available instruction sets provided by your CPU.

If you want to see exactly what Linux thinks of your CPU, check the output of the lscpu command. This will show the exact model and the available flags that the kernel believes your CPU makes available to the system.

In terms of how CPU speed and the quality of transcoded video are linked: the short answer is that they're normally not, directly speaking. The video quality you get will be down to the utilities you use when transcoding, and the exact options you use when running those utilities.

Now, the time taken for that transcoding to complete will absolutely be 100% affected by your CPU, its clock speed, and the available resources on your system in general. But the quality of the end result should not be limited or affected by the speed of your CPU, or the functionality it offers. The output you get for a given set of transcoding options should be the same in all circumstances, with the only changing factor being the amount of time it takes to generate that result.

In closing: normally, you really don't have to worry too much about what is going on under the hood, so to speak. If you are running the right kernel for your system (which you almost certainly are, unless you've been manually fiddling with things), and you're using the packages provided by your Linux distro, then you should be fine.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions.

You're running three separate transcodings at the same time and seem to be surprised that your cpu load went up? You have asked about ffmpeg before too Ffmpeg library linking errors while compiling in Linux - #17 by Neo

And saying the quality is not good doesnt give us any decent info. Without knowing what the input file is or the properties of it or what you're trying to do or convert it to, theres nothing anyone can even guess at.

You haven't actually said what your problem is, besides its "not good" and your cpu spikes when you use it which shouldn't be surprising. The kernel handles cpu usage so why do you think it should be higher? You should have plenty of experience with ffmpeg at this point

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.