Unix OS Installer

Hey Guys,

Can somebody help me get a unix OS installer (preferably no charge)?
Can I install it on intel pc? I got a copy of unix installer a year ago and tried installing it on an intel pc but I can't get it done although I was already following instructions.

Slick

I presume you mean linux, since you're in the linux subforum.

Yes, we can get you one. We can get you dozens of different ones. It'd help to know your requirements so we can narrow it down a bit.

I'm actually not sure which type of OS I want coz I don't know what is the advantage of each type of OS to the other OSes. I am leaving it up to you to give me the best one. I am assume you'll be giving the best one to a newbie (although I've been a member since last year, I have not actually been programming or attempting yet. I just drop by here very seldom.)
Thank you in advance sir!

They're the same operating system, i.e. Linux. The difference is in installers, package managers, utilities, desktops...

If there was a "best" one, there wouldn't be dozens of different ones.

Friendliest, you mean? That, I can work with. :slight_smile: Mandriva is pretty friendly. There's also ubuntu.

use gentoo =)
maybe it's not so friendlist, but if you really want to know linux, try it :wink:
as for Mandriva, i think ubuntu/kubuntu is better. so, it's just my opinion

Go for Fedora core6.

Prashant,

Thank you guys. I'll try them one of these days (if I had my pc fixed). :slight_smile:

Try SimplyMEPIS, it's the friendliest 1 i've seen!

Hi I am using the wrt54g wireless router for my project.

I need the Linux OS, can anyone hit me up with that?

many thanks!

I presume you mean the mini-distro for the wrt54g. It is the first google hit for the search terms linux wrt54g

If you're just looking for linux in general, any linux should work with standard network routing products.

no i just simply need the linux OS so that i can code in C

Any of the ones already mentioned in this thread will work.

hi, currently I am using cygwin, a programme that is similiar to the linux OS.

Can anyone tell me how do I use Cygwin to write a simple TCP/IP server program in C language.

The server program can listen at TCP 8080 and send out Hello World
to any TCP client connect to the port 8080 (at client side use the command telnet IP address 8080)

I need a simple TCP/IP programme working but I hage no idea where to start out, where to code and how do I go about coding it?

Please guide me, thank you! :slight_smile:

the 2 links stated above are trial versions.

are there any which is downloadable ones?

I have searched google but cant find any Linux Os.

You can try these out:

Fedora Linux

Ubuntu

I know for a fact that both of these are 100% free, complete Linux operating systems. No "trial" versions.

I'm not sure about other Linuxes (Linuses?). I'm sure there are more, I just haven't had any interest in them.

hey thanks alot!! :smiley: :slight_smile: :wink: :o

fedora unix has 3...

the core 6 images...

meaning there are 3 OSs?

what are the images about?

Am I suppose to download all 3 of them?

hi i am reely very confused...

when i click on the download links, there are more files, like iso, etc...which is the images, do i dw one or everything?

please guide.....

Each ISO is one compact disc. They are very large files, perhaps 600 megabytes or so each. Any decent CDROM burning program can understand these files. Disc one is the boot disk and installer. The other discs contain extra programs. The rescue CD is a special, small boot disk for booting to a command prompt and fixing your system.

The i386 files are for 32-bit IBM PC computers(though they'll work on 64-bit too). The x86_64 files are only for 64-bit IBM PC computers. The ppc files are only for older Macintosh computers that use the PowerPC processor. You probably want i386.