UNIX error log

A system administration utility has recently been installed at the SCO Openserver (UNIX) servers of our bank. While
receiving the error log files of this utility, we have noted the following warning messages:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

� Alert: /etc: File Control Database inconsistency. The File Control Database may be compromised. Run Integrity
(ADM).

� Alert: Authentication database path /etc/shadow may be compromised - run integrity (ADM).

It may be noted that one of the functions performed by this utility is to copy etc/shadow to another directory for data
back-up purposes. We have objected to this practice.

I will appreciate if someone can guide me about the significance of the above errors.

What's the version of your o.s. (run uname -a) and what's the name of your system administration utility?

Maybe it's b/c the program is messing with certain files while not being root..? I found a link on dbforums that talks about a command called asroot. This may be completely off, but if you created the utility, maybe it's running some commands that need to be run as root? Just throwing out ideas here...

The version is 5.0.6. The utility has been developed inhouse by our techies to restrict usage of root by system
adminsitrators. They have failed in this objective as new doors have been opened for accessing root account. The user ID
for running the utility also has root powers. More worryingly, certain shells of the utility are messing with the following:

1. File permissions of all server files.
  2. Certn shells of teh utility are being excecuted daily at system startup which should have been done only at installation of
    teh utility.

So the fact that the utility is a disaster is known to us. My question, is the extent of damage it is causing the system. Please share your thoughts :confused:

Thoughts:

You have an inhouse developed utility.

Folks on this forum have no knowledge of that inhouse utiliity.

You should go to the developers of your custom utility and get their help.