UNI-T A25M PM2.5 Air Quality Monitor & the World Air Pollution AQI

One of the main reasons we moved to the oceanside was the clean ocean breeze. So, recently I bought a UNI-T A25M PM2.5 Air Quality Monitor to compare the PM2.5 on our balconies to other parts of the world.

Actually, what I really wanted to do was to set up a professional AQM node for this project, but since the pandemic changed all our lives, this global AQM&I web site is not responding to emails.

So, in the meantime, I went ahead and bought an inexpensive (around $50 USD) UNI-T A25M PM2.5 Air Quality Monitor and it seems to work fine. I have tested it next to road construction and the PM2.5 goes off the chart; and the same from the smoke from a sulfur match. When the AQM is down wind from the kitchen, PM2.5 even goes up a bit, in a good way, when my wife cooks bacon!

On the "best days" the PM2.5 on my ocean-side balcony is (amazingly) zero:

This creates a very nice feeling as you can imagine, breathing such clean ocean air daily. The PM2.5 has been around 0 to 1 for the past few days, but a few days before that it sometimes went up to 5.

IMG_9405

As you can imagine, the PM2.5 measurements on a day-to-day basic are mostly based on the wind speed and direction.

When the wind is blowing off the ocean from the southwest , the PM2.5 is low. As expected, when the wind shifts and blows from the land side of the condo. the PM2.5 goes. up.

Last week the wind shifted and some of the pollution from some factories about a hour north by car, caused our PM2.5 to average between 15 and 25 for a few days, which is still considered "healthy" by PM2.5 standards; but of course we like it when it is under 5 oceanside. My wife, who originally laughed when she found out I spent $50 on this electronic gadget, watches the PM2.5 level more than I do it seems. She loves this little AQM and so I move it around from the bedroom at night when we sleep to the front and rear balconies when we are awake.

My goal is still to join the World's Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index team and spend between $200 and $300 US on a professional grade AQM and be a node on the map.

Hopefully, the owners of that web site will return to "business as usual" soon so I can order a Gaia A12: Professional Sensing Station or maybe the A13 with added gas monitoring options.

I never realized monitoring air quality could be so interesting; but then again, when you live on sea coast, it's easy to have a "good feeling" about air quality.

3 Likes

This is an older thread, but it's not locked, so I guess it's fair game. I needed a clock in my living room, but I thought that some instrument that displays a lot of numbers would look cooler. So I bought an INKBIRD 8-in-1 WiFi Air Quality Monitor from Amazon for $200.

It displays:
Temperature
Humidity
CO2 (carbon dioxide)
HCHO (formaldehyde)
TVOC (total volatile organic compounds)
PM2.5 (particulate matter less than 2.5 microns)
PM10 (particulate matter less than 10 microns)
AQI (air quality index)

I quickly discovered that while my AQI was not terrible, I had some room for improvement. The worst problem I had was CO2 above 1000 ppm. I fixed this by opening some windows and leaving the exhaust fans in the bathrooms running to encourage air flow. My PM10 was above fifty. I fixed that by setting my heat pump fan to always on. My PM's are now 10/12 which shows that my fan's filter does a great job with PM's in 2.5 to 10.0 range.

It has an android app that can show little graphs of the data. But the battery life is about 20 minutes (I'm not exaggerating), it's rather bright but has no dimmer, and it only handles 24 hour time. It cannot monitor natural gas, carbon monoxide, nor ozone. We don't have gas service in our apartments, so I don't really need the the first two. But I have more electronic gizmo's than most people so ozone would be very nice. I'm keeping an eye out for a better monitor, but for now, this is what I have.

I do notice the improvement in my air quality! So I'm doing something right.

1 Like