Two separate networks connecting to one internet service

Hi,

I have an issue I need to sort out ASAP. I have done lots of surfing to try and find the best solution but I need concrete advice quickly. So I’m hoping I can pick the brains of the pros in this case.

I have one internet connection. I need it split into two networks. One network only needs internet access to one Ethernet port. The other network is a normal home WiFi style network.

I was thinking of turning the ISP modem/router into just a modem connecting the modem to a switch effectively splitting the connection. One Ethernet port to a computer the other to a WiFi router.

The one thing I don’t understand is can one of the networks see data from the other or are they truly split???

Any help please

Zigs

Modern day ethernet switches do not broadcast the packets across all switch ports; but this kind of question is generally device specific.

For example, I have in my home office a direct fiber optic connection to the national backbone. On the other side of the fiber optic brick, there is a router and I'm natted behind that router.

I have an ethernet switch off the router.

If I did not want any IP address on my side to be accessible to the Internet, I would block the MAC address at the router.

Since I am natted, none of the devices are accessible over the global Internet.

As far as WIFI goes, only permitted MAC addresses can connect to my WIFI networks.

Most routers have these basic features to block access based on MAC address.

Thanks Neo.

Gone with the three router option. There are better ways I'm sure. But finances are low and its only domestic. Will keep on guard for any leakage. Not looking forward to the port forwarding and reboots :saluting_face: !

Gonna unfry my brain now!

Gonna do this on Monday so anyone who wants to know what I did please let me know! Otherwise follow @Neo advice.

I am interested in the NAT tech that you use @Neo and at some point in the future will apply those methods. As I said this is time sensitive so for for now the cheap, quick and safe’ish solution is best. As I said before I will be monitoring it and hope it works.

Zigs

This topic was automatically closed after 35 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.