Toning a network cable to a network closet

I am attempting to tone a network cable to a network closet. So I stuck the toner on the network jack that I was checking. Then I went to the network closet and tried to use the probe to find the network cable. I was unable to find the network cable. Then I got on a ladder to follow the network cable in the ceiling. I noticed that the cable was going in the complete opposite direction of the network closet. There is only one network closet in this building. Does this mean there was an old network closet that the owner of the building does not know about? Does this mean my toner and probe is to cheap to reach the network closet? Is there some other option I am missing? Isn't there a physical limitation of a hundred feet for network cables and network closets? Do I need to go through the ceiling and follow the network cable? What are my options here?

My first thoughts are:

I assume that you have tested your toner on a short length of cable to verify operation?

Of course, a short circuit on the end that you are attaching to will kill the toner signal.

You can get a fairly cheap tester that will tell you how far from one end a break is. If you had one of those then you could ask whether the length read-out looks approx correct.

It's likely that an adjacent cable goes to the same closet wherever that is, so try the next cable along in case, as I say, the one that you are trying to test has a short on it.

2 Likes

Also, it's best to attach the toner to bare wires and not a network jack or a punch down connector.

You should be able to pick up the signal at the other end by just being close to the cable (not attaching to it).

Also, also, do not be surprised by cables taking a convoluted route from outlet to closet. It happens all the time for a variety of reasons.

So true.

There can be many reasons for this. Never assume anything.