Text formatting

I know I've been away from the forums for past couple of months. But I am back now : )
I used to hit ctrl+B and ctrl+I after selecting the text to make text bold or italic respectively. (Pressing the keys would add [b]and [i]tags etc)

However, that is not working anymore. Did I miss something?

Hello clx,

I also do the same but I saw one differance in Mozila when I do the same it will write like <B>text</B> and will make it BOLD after post complets and in IE it will directly make the text to BOLD before posting itself, but it's working for me.

Thanks,
R. Singh

I think you are on Chrome / Opera ... it works fine on firefox, IE.

Correct. I am on chrome. Previously I was using firefox but theres only chrome available for me now.

Test Bold

Test Bold

not

Test &lt;b&gt;Bold&lt;/b&gt;

... for bbcode

Works find in Chrome and Safari

I am aware with the tags. My question was, shortcut keys doesn't work in chrome that we probably need to fix?

We have never had "short cut keys" at these forums that add forum bbcode, to my knowledge.

bbcodes are added via the icons in the editor, not from keyboard shortcuts. It's always been this way.

These keypresses (moreover the inline formatting that results) are a feature of the "rich text" editors found in some browsers, no? They were always more annoying to me, than useful, so I tend to disable them.

Maybe Google changed something (as is their right and prerogative) in Chrome?

No idea Scott. I never use browwer-specific keys for bbcodes.

It has nothing to do with BBCode, but with how browsers turn <textarea>'s into rich-text areas that render text like a word processor would. Then, when refreshed vB would interpret that "rich text" and replace the contents with BBCode (i.e. replacing THIS with THIS .

FireFox does it, and it drives me up the wall (one of about 17 reasons I can't use that annoying browser :))

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. All I was interested, to save my time. selecting text and hit ctrl+B is definitely quicker than typing [b] and [/b] around it?

Apologies if I am not aware of any other quicker way?
Also, how do you type literal bbcodes? For above, I googled and found a trick of adding non printable chars in the tags. but surely there should be a way?

EDIT : Well that trick didn't work here.

Hi.

Perhaps this Chrome extension might help. I have not used it, however ... cheers, drl

1 Like

First: The tags to use to surround bold text are and without the asterisks.

Second: When you are creating a post, hit the Go Advanced button, and you get more formatting tools at the top of the editing window. The leftmost three in the 2nd line allow you to select text and hit one button for bold text, one button for italic text, and one button for underlined text. Not quite as easy as ctl-B, ctl-I, or ctl-U (since you have to move the mouse), but at least you don't have to remember the tags.

Hope this helps..

2 Likes

Thanks everyone.
Again, please don't get me wrong, I am well aware with the tags and I am not confused with them.

My first post was only with regards to ctrl+B etc. I am now clear that its a browser specific. In my last post, I was looking for a way to type literal and which I didn't know before Don Cragun's post. So now I can type :slight_smile: I missed the fact to quote the message to see the embedded tags.
I used some non-printing chars with the tags suggested by Google search which didn't work and turned out as "*"

I can mark it as solved :slight_smile:

1 Like