Tar command log file

Hi,
On AIX server 1 7 00CC7D074C00
Does tar -c
commande produce an error log if any? If yes what is the name of it?

Thanks.

@big123456 , show what you are doing - ie the actual tar command line

no [error] log file per-se is created, messages are sent to stderr , these can be captured by redirecting to a file ie >2 message.log

1 Like

Hello,

As a follow-up question, could I ask what you mean by "AIX server 1 7 00CC7D074C00" ? The only place I find any mention of "00CC7D074C00" on the Internet is in fact a previous post of your own on this forum from about a year-and-a-half ago. Is this the hostname of your server, or some other local identifier ? If so, then it would be helpful to know what version of AIX we're talking about (e.g. AIX 7.1, etc.), and also whether you're using AIX's own tar command, or if you're making use of GNU tar.

But in any case - any errors you ever get will depend on what you're actually doing, and where those errors show up (if any are generated) will depend on precisely how you're doing it. So if you could get back to us with answers to the above questions and to @munkeHoller's points, then we can take things from there.

Hope this helps !

It's been years since I used AIX and consequently I'm no expert so this is a generic answer only that applies to most *nix/Linux.

In response to your post, no, the -c switch is the 'create' switch.

The -v switch (i.e. tar -cv) is the verbose switch that will show you on stdout the processing as it happens.

As @munkeHoller has already said, any errors will go to stderr which defaults to your screen.

You've not said exactly why you are asking this question but, if you want to capture the activity for posterity, you can redirect or tee the output of either or both stdout and stderr to your own 'log' file.

If you can be much more specific I'm sure an AIX expert on here will advise you.

I pulled all strings of 20 or more characters out of the .data segment of /bin/tar, and found 550 texts.

strings -n 20 -d /bin/tar | grep -v '^_' | sort

Many of those are long option tags, error notes about options, or responses to the --help option, but there may be well over 100 possible errors that can be flagged. Favourites:

Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
%s: implausibly old time stamp %s
This does not look like a tar archive
Too many errors, quitting

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.