Sound Problems

Hi All

I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me.
xmms refuses to play telling me that

oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory

what I have done to try and fix this is

1. create /dev/sound/dsp (mknod /dev/sound/dsp c 14 3) ..didnt work

2. create /dev/dsp as above ..didnt work

3 ln -s /dev/dsp /dev/sound/dsp ...didnt work

4 gave 'open house' permissions on said device files ...didnt work

5 tried to play audio file directly through the device eg cat myaudiofile > /dev/dsp (or /dev/sound/dsp) got back this message

-bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

I thougHi All

I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me.
xmms refuses to play telling me that

oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory

what I have done to try and fix this is

1. create /dev/sound/dsp (mknod /dev/sound/dsp c 14 3) ..didnt work

2. create /dev/dsp as above ..didnt work

3 ln -s /dev/dsp /dev/sound/dsp ...didnt work

4 gave 'open house' permissions on said device files ...didnt work

5 tried to play audio file directly through the device eg cat myaudiofile > /dev/dsp (or /dev/sound/dsp) got back this message

-bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

I thought this odd as when I ran 'file' on /dev/dsp I got this

/file /dev/dsp
/dev/dsp: character special (14/3)

I should point out that I am using devfs about which I know very little could this be the culprit? (should I edit /etc/devfs.conf???)

I am running 2.4.20-gentoo-r2

many thanks for any pointers as no music is driving me crazy :wink:

ht this odd as when I ran 'file' on /dev/dsp I got this

/file /dev/dsp
/dev/dsp: character special (14/3)

I should point out that I am using devfs about which I know very little could this be the culprit? (should I edit /etc/devfs.conf???)

I am running 2.4.20-gentoo-r2

many thanks for any pointers as no music is driving me crazy :wink:

What sound card are you using and is your kernel configured to support this card or chipset?

sound card is CMI8330/C3D Audio Adapter
When I compiled my kernel I chose
Sound Support - CMEDIA PCI (CMI8338/8738)...this was a module

..then I added support for CMI8738 based audio cards.

..so I have only one module in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/sound/

it is cmpci.o and having insmod'd it ..nothing!!

I did notice in my kernel config that I omitted OSS sound modules which results in sound.o...have a feeling I messed up here??

output from dmesg shows

PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Using IRQ router SIS [1039/0008] at 00:01.0
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: CMI8330 quirk - fixing interrupts and dma
isapnp: Card 'CMI8330/C3D Audio Adapter'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

...unsure as to what the 'quirk'

as always any help greatly appreciated

check your xmms preferences, you can select from a list of available sound drivers. i do think that you need to compile in support for OSS.

the only soundrivers I have alvailable thru xmms are 'disk writer plugin'!!! and the OSS Driver :wink: which is doing nothing !! I am in the middle of compiling in oss support right now..so i will let u know how it goes

many thanks

once you have an oss driver then you should be able to get sound output. good luck.

..having compiled in oss support..still no sound.

the error I am getting is

oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No such device

I am using devfs and have created /dev/dsp both as

1. a character device (mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3 )

2. a symbolic link to /dev/sound/dsp which I believe is the equivalent in devfs

if i isuue the file command on the device

file /dev/sound/dsp
/dev/sound/dsp: character special (14/3)

but if i try to access it directly like
cat myaudio > /dev/sound/dsp

I get

-bash: /dev/sound/dsp: No such device

(this is also true of /dev/dsp)
is this familiar to anyone?

many thanks

just a note to say thanks to neo and norsk hedensk for pointers in getting my sound working. I am not used to devfs which is catching me out! ...devfs creates devices on the fly, the kernel registering them by name rather than major and minor numbers. This is different to the 'nomal' block and character devices which would sit on my root filesystem ..... so no sound devices exist until all correct modules are loaded

Having recompiled the kernel, edit /etc/devfsd.conf and doing a modprobe for the required module all sound devices are instantly created...sound at last :slight_smile: i just have to automate this with modules.conf and all shoud be well...who told me to use devfs!!

thanks