Solaris 10 slowing down with 3 screens

Hi,
I have Solaris 10 on sun ultra 45 and I need use it with 3 monitors.
As soon as I started 3 monitors all started slowing down a lot... Opening folders, terminal takes ages...
With one monitor all working fine
I have 2 cpu, 12 GB ram, 2 video cards x300

Also I have sun 25 with only 1 GB ram and same task is working fine with 3 monitors.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hello,

Welcome to the forum ! We hope you enjoy your time here, and find this to be a friendly and helpful place.

There are a few points to consider here:

• Are the XVR-300 graphics cards installed in the same PCI-E slots in both the Ultra 25 and the Ultra 45 ? If not, can you move the cards in the Ultra 45 to the same slots as are being used in the Ultra 25 and see if performance improves ?
  • Are both systems running the same patchlevel of Solaris 10 ?
  • Are both systems using the same X server ? Is one perhaps using Xsun, and the other Xorg ? If so, can you change the Ultra 45's X server to the same one as the Ultra 25 and see if performance improves ?
  • Are both systems running their display at the same bit depth, or is one at 8-bit and the other at 24-bit ?
  • Do both systems show the same output for fbconfig -prconf and fbconfig -propt ?

Hopefully these suggestions are enough to point you in a direction that might lead to a solution. If not, or if you have any further questions, please do get back to us and we may be able to assist further.

3 Likes

Hello,
Many thanks for your help.
I checked all your recommendations and all looks Identically....system from same dvd and same settings.
In ultra 25 we use 24-bit.
I changed depth to 8bit on sun 45 and still the same slow reaction.

Hi,

OK, thanks. Well, if you've confirmed that the cards are using the same PCI-E slots in each workstation (from what I remember two slots in particular in Ultra 25s and 45s are higher-bandwidth, and intended for use with the graphics cards for this reason), then you could always try swapping the cards between the Ultra 25 and the Ultra 45, and see if the performance issue stays on the Ultra 45 (which would rule out the cards, and tend to point towards an issue with the Ultra 45), or if it follows the cards and if the Ultra 25 then runs slower (which would point towards an issue with one or both of the cards currently installed in the Ultra 45).

Did you compare the patches?
showrev -p | grep 124149-
showrev -p | grep 119059-

Thanks for helping me!

So, today I downloaded newest version of Solaris 10(01/13) and system with 3 monitors is working fine.
Still don't understand why it is working good on ultra 25 with 1gb ram and Solaris version 08/07

Thanks everyone for the tips!)

1 Like

I guess the relevant patches have been installed on the Ultra 25 (by means of the patchadd command).

Note that the "recommended patch cluster" does not contain driver fixes unless they are also security fixes.

A newer Solaris release comes with integrated patches.

Both servers had last patch 118833-36...
Those servers was never connected to the internet for any patches upgrade.

This is a kernel patch. But kernel patches do not include the drivers.
124149-xx is the XVR-300 driver patch. Drivers plugs into the kernel but are separate.
And 119059-xx is a Xserver (Xsun) patch that handles multi-screen (xinerama).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.