Solaris 10 Live

Would anyone be able to provide the OpenSolaris 10 (2018) live CD root password?

Looking to run an Nvidia driver run package expecting that an Eth0 is included.

Letting me know if this is a dead end is also welcome info.

I promise to reply with a smiley and a beer emoticon to any answers!

1 Like

Where did you get the OpenSolaris ISO download? Are you talking about the Oracle product? Or Open source third-party product?

On X86 or Sparc?

What are you trying to do? Post the login/prompt that you are seeing.

Did you try
opensolaris
?

This is the Oracle product disk labeled OpenSolaris 5.11 and has the Nvidia drivers for all except the Ethernet functions on the GE Force 8500 on an AMD 64 Triple Core box.

Originally a Vista installed box it ran Debian fine but the ISO boot are not recognized from the DVD drive after the Lenny release.
Have no idea how the OpenSolaris disk was acquired, actually.

Looking at loading the run for this release at Nvidia.

Solaris Display Driver – X64/X86 349.107

But single mode live boot has a root password that is not the open source value. I can go multi user and load it but would like to be able to work from the live boot disk as root for any future restore and upgrade if the ether board functions can be loaded.

:grin::beer: :pretzel:
Pretzel added for good measure.

Yes. And changeme

Both and root and admin failed.

So I know four things it isn’t.
I’m must be getting closer.

:beer::grin: :sunflower:

There are a few different types of install media for that x86 type.

There is a specific 'live' media for testing without having to install.

Perhaps you have the wrong media (especially if you don't know where the media came from).

I suggest that you specifically download the 'live' ISO.

Read this:

Thanks for the Pretzel!

Hello,

I'd suggest that if you want to use an open-source Solaris-based distribution that you take a look at either OpenIndiana or Tribblix. OpenIndiana is a distro that tries to go for a more modern look and feel, and is quite RHEL-like in terms of its package management and dependency resolution. Tribblix is more like old-school SunOS/Solaris 2.x in terms of its look and feel, but both support modern Intel hardware to a pretty good degree.

OpenSolaris itself was discontinued a very long time ago, and so is probably not really worth bothering with any more for the most part. It forked into Illumos, which is the core OS that open-source Solaris distros like OpenIndiana and Tribblix are in turn based on.

This is an Oracle label disc. I think I got it from the CEO before he died. It boots and the gnome environment is fine but it isn’t moving forward without the Ethernet function of the Nvidia board.

It’s a fine roach motel right now. I would need to burn from a Windows box to get the DVD to the AMD which has no way out. You can only open from outside right now. Roach motel. The isoburn from Windows must not complete the Rock Ridge the way the AMD box requires. But I really don’t want to twiddle bits that hard to get one booting.

1 Like

OpenIndiana appears to have made a few laps.

I’m trying to come up with the bare metal and race car pun, but hot rod doesn’t seem to fit either racetrack nor computing platform. If it did come from “Larry,” as I note he is affectionately called, then I will consider the new AMD box build to have his sponsorship.
Sponsorship is certainly relevant to Indie race cars, but then is it relevant to bare metal?

The Solaris IO_Streams are notorious for flat tires on the bends. But that was primarily from the CISC function table lookup failures. So maybe I will blame those on the lack of eth0 support? I’m hopping in for a PA RISC tire change.

:sun_with_face::beer:

Hello,

The experience of installing and running Solaris on PC-style hardware is certainly far better than it used to be back in, say, the 1990s. I would say that the performance of Solaris on modern 64-bit x86_64 systems is noticeably better than you used to get on 32-bit x86 PCs, and the installation process has gotten simpler as well.

Out of interest: is there a particular reason you want to go with Illumos/Solaris rather than Linux ? Generally speaking, you're likely to have a far simpler time of it with Linux, both in terms of ease of installation and the experience of the day-to-day running of the system. Of course if you have prior Solaris/Sun experience then by all means do carry on, but if this is your first time installing a UNIX or UNIX-style OS, you might want to consider going with Linux rather than Solaris unless you have a very specific reason to do otherwise.

1 Like

How about
solaris
?

Did you read

@Mike_Koopman I'm posting now just to emphasize a point that @MadeInGermany has obviously clocked.

Your topic title says

Solaris 10 Live

but you say

and 5.11 is Solaris 11.

On Solaris 10 root is a user account and can be logged into. On Solaris 11 root defaults to a 'role' only and is not usable as an account. You can convert it to an account (using 'modrole' command) but until you do you cannot login as root.

It's important not to be confused about this. I've only just clocked that this might be a problem for you as a result of @MadeInGermany post but it needs to be made absolutely clear.

1 Like

Thanks much. The Ubuntu-ness of roles is something I still find creepy. But most westerners aren’t raised around the caste system, either. Oh wait, I just saw something about US Congress and taxes your great grandchildren will pay but will never pay down. I guess I should retract that statement about westerners not knowing how enforced “roles” work.

Probably just my prejudiced view from having been an admin of a substantial cluster of Sun machines and being the human person with the “role” of super user. So, yes I found Debian to be practical and especially liked that it challenged Microsoft in a way that Linux would never consider. So, gnome like or even Hurd boxen is more Unix like than the CISC like silos that the MS disease infected by the Linux vaccine injection have become.

Hope that makes sense and why when the default glommed Rock Ridge ISO became the preferred standard I was glad to locate “Larry’s” disk. Forgot it had a roach motel nvidia driver. Wonder if he is logging in from that great mainframe in the sky? I expect the Hong Kong rep from nvidia who took my support call when the software was “fresh” is likely to have been sold for parts since that case was closed.

Hello,

Given that you have indicated that you have previous Sun experience, then you should be fairly familiar with this once it's up and running. One last thing to keep in mind about Solaris however, is that without an active paid license, you are restricted in how you can make use of it in your environment. You can use it in a non-commercial development or non-production role legally, so to speak, but using it in a commercial or production environment without a license from Oracle would be a no-no as far as they're concerned.

The full terms of use for Oracle Solaris 11.x can be found here:

https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license.html

If you want to avoid these issues, but still want to run a Solaris-style operating system, you could go with one of the Illumos distributions previously mentioned. Illumos is the successor to OpenSolaris, which was the original open-source version of Solaris. Both Illumos and OpenSolaris are distinct entities from Oracle Solaris itself, and do not depend on any support from or agreements with Oracle. Going down this road means that you avoid any licensing constraints, though each option has its own pros and cons to weigh up.

You’re very kind. Moderator of the year because you have that steady centering that allows you to see the query. You vault through those derogatory expressions venting frustration from dealing with all that incompetence in computing aired by posters. Clearly it is not directed to you but is still an agitation taking that calm demeanor to brush aside.

Either that or you just don’t give a hoot, anyway. Probably the former, but great advice in any case.

Looks like Illumos ( nothing to do with Illuminati, I hope? ) has some nice features and the Hurd is pretty well unheard since ‘Larry’ started that new, and more illustrious position. Did pretty well for himself as a simple, simulation programmer. Think they hold scrum sessions in that new role he took?

Would probably stay on the commercial packages if intending to use ingrate, excuse me, Ingres or Oracle data mining type big data world exploring tools. Or even mariadb, mentioned elsewhere, or anything with Silver Creek minting or coining jazz built-in. None of those Interleaf-ved expression noted glitch vobs aside from gv, actually do anything since before the World Trade Center disaster and the end of the grandfather of all DoD servers, anyway.

Hello,

You've mentioned Hurd a couple of times now: I don't think we're likely to see much more in the way of progress on that particular front, and from my own occasional forays into Hurd distributions, I wouldn't personally recommend any of them for use in anything other than a test environment in their current state.

The de facto GNU operating system these days is now Linux, as the Linux kernel was ready for prime-time long before there was anything resembling a functional Hurd microkernel. The marriage between the Linux kernel and the GNU userland has been a great success by any reasonable measure. Even Mr. Stallman himself has pretty much given up on Hurd, and thinks that it's no longer really necessary due to the ubiquity of Linux, and the level of stability and functionality reached by the Linux kernel.

If you're dead-set on not running Linux on your PC, there are still other options. The BSDs are alive and well, so you could take a look at FreeBSD or OpenBSD. They are each still under active development, and have a clear roadmap and future ahead of them. And sadly, the same can't really be said of Oracle Solaris anymore. Personally, I'm a big fan of Solaris, and like it very much; but I couldn't in good conscience recommend someone get into it today as their main OS, as there isn't really much of a future to be found there.

I’ve mentioned the late Larry even more times. But only met him once. He and his CTO were keeping low profile when they started conversation with me at a simulation conference. And I didn’t recognize him until one of my colleagues later noted that I might want to know whose machine technology I had just insulted. But that colleague never sat a green screen, although he got to skate dance with Bill and Melissa at the new underground simulation bay that I got kicked from in a very hard link sense.

Probably would have seen them from the sidelines if all the guys on my side weren’t made into a funeral pyre. I never did like any cartelers and still wonder why they just left me in my cube whenever it was that those brass guys all got snuffed. After the cartelers won there was no way I got to see the skate parties. I was good enough for when the black Lipanzzaners were being hidden. Even when Walesa was hiding in the CIA cabin, which is not in the Polish woods. But it’s alright since I didn’t realize they were all pedophiles until Hunter’s laptop and the Epstein story showed Bill Gates heading the IT security on that infamous island.

Stallman? Not sure. Sure he wasn’t totally ignorant. But was he actively supporting the child molesting crew? Time will probably tell.

SunOS, the young Turks can drink their poisons. Maybe I will set with the sun?

Linux killed Socrates. He’s a psycho penguin that one.