Snapd issues

First of all, I hope this is the right place for a question like this.
I'm trying to install retroarch from snap

I get the following errors:

2022/09/21 02:16:36.983561 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger

2022/09/21 02:16:37.035522 api.go:879: Installing snap "retroarch" revision unset
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "core" (13745) (open /etc/systemd/system: no such file or directory)

Anyone know what I am doing wroing?

Thanks for any and all help.

hi,

• for transparency - can you show the command executed not just some messages issued

avoiding the obvious ... some thoughts/questions ...

• is this the first time of using snap ....
  • are you running this with elevated privileges (root) if not then permissions may be an issue
  • what does snap list produce (does core show up in the output)
  • what does snap find retroarch produce
  • what does ls -al /etc/systemd/system show
  • has there been any recent updates to your system that might have caused this (manual edit etc)

catch22bbs:~# snap list
2022/09/21 12:02:31.785428 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger
No snaps are installed yet. Try "snap install hello-world"

catch22bbs:~# snap install hello-world
I get a progress bar installing "core"

catch22bbs:~# snap find retroarch
2022/09/21 12:13:55.325853 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger
Name Version Developer Notes Summary
retroarch 1.10.3 libretro - RetroArch is the official reference frontend for the libretro API.

catch22bbs:~# ls -al /etc/systemd/system
ls: cannot access /etc/systemd/system: No such file or directory

TIA

which OS ?

is the snapd service installed and running - systemctl status snapd.service

Yes. It is.

catch22bbs:/# ps xua|grep snapd
root 465235 0.0 0.6 1761688 55388 ? Ssl 00:43 0:04 /usr/lib/snapd/snapd

can u run the commands given please systemctl...

I don't have it. :frowning:

bash: systemctl: command not found

and what OS (operating system) are you running - as previously asked.

this article may be of help.
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=44060&p=435179&hilit=snapd#p435179

PS: as the message emitted is a WARNING , so probably not impacting. If the retroarch package is 'working' then its likely you can ignore the message.

I am using Debian Wheezy.

The link you sent, simply does not work.

catch22bbs:~# snap install hello-world
2022/09/22 10:44:51.199155 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger
2022/09/22 10:44:51.254131 api.go:879: Installing snap "hello-world" revision unset
Progress bar
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "core" (13745) (open /etc/systemd/system: no such file or directory)

HOWEVER, when I do a snap install core I get this:

catch22bbs:~# snap install core
2022/09/22 10:55:34.762360 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger
2022/09/22 10:55:34.817730 api.go:879: Installing snap "core" revision unset
Progress bar..
catch22bbs:~# ls /snap
core/

There is nothing in that directory, though. Just a few sub directories.

Should I install systemd?

here' a screenshot of the link ... working

I'll ask again .... is the retroarch package working for you ? its unlikely you need to install systemd ... you need to research and decide if you want/need it.

1 Like

Hello,

I suspect the largest issue here is the fact that you are using Debian 7 (Wheezy). This is an end-of-life and no-longer-supported release of Debian, and as far as I can tell, no release of snapd was ever made available for Wheezy. It looks like the earliest Debian version for which Snap support was added was Debian 9 (Stretch). Can I ask how you installed snapd, and which package you used and where it was obtained from ?

As for systemd, in Debian 7 this was only available in a technology preview form - which means in a "we're only providing this for those who want to test it and have a very good and specific reason for wanting to install it" form. Back in the Debian 7 days the switch to systemd was still not a settled matter, with Debian not switching fully to systemd until Debian 8. Wheezy still uses good old-fashioned init, and I'd recommend on Debian 7 that you stick with that.

But even more than that, I'd recommend that you actually don't stick with Debian 7, and if at all possible, upgrade this system to a more recent (and crucially, still-supported) release of Debian. Of course if you can't do that or there is an application-specific reason why you must remain on 7 then that's fair enough, but the flip-side of that coin is that you're very unlikely to be able to get things like snapd and systemd to work in any meaningful way.

1 Like

No. It isn't working.

ok, suggest you follow @drysdalk suggestions.

Ok. Here's my reasoning. I'm using a Zipi Z2 (google it), and the only version of Debian I can use on it, is Debian Wheezy. I'm really trying to get Retroarch running on it. I tried compiling the source, and was successful in doing so. The problem is, that it segfaults when I run it. Which is my reasoning for using snap. I tried flatpak, but I couldn't get that working, either, as such the case with snap.

I hope I am making this clear enough.

So.. could I possibly get some help getting Retroarch working via means of compiling it? Or, should I start a new post?

Hello,

Ah, OK - well, that's certainly different ! I think it's going to be challenging to get more modern software working on Debian 7, let alone on a system where resources are as constrained as they are on the Zipit Z2.

Looking around (and I confess this isn't a device I'm familiar with, or had heard of before this post), it looks like there's not much to choose from in terms of modern Linux support here. It appears to have been a device that there was a flurry of interest in porting Linux to in the early- to mid-2010's, and then not much since then.

Your best bet here might be to look for the oldest possible RetroArch binary package for the arm64 architecture that you can in the Debian package repos, and see if you can install it via the usual Debian way. I do find myself wondering if RAM will be an issue however. Do you know for certain that RetroArch works and is supported on this device (or that it was supported, in some previous version of RetroArch) ?

recommend you start this journey at https://www.retroarch.com/

retroarch discord channel post questions there and hopefully get responses from an audience versed in the software.

this link may also be of interest ... https://mozzwald.com/zipitz2

I'm doing just that. You can close this post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.