Site Performance

The UNIX Forums have many users, thanks to you. We will be upgrading the server soon, to make more processing room for all the users every day.

In the meantime (while waiting on the server upgrade) have limited the forum to disallow new connections when the load average is above 20; and recently tuned the MySQL database a bit.

So , tell us - How bad is it?

It has been popping up with the "heavily loaded... upgrading soon" message quite a bit now. So yes, the upgrade is appreciated.

Right this second, things seem ok. But even before the today's performance tweaks, there were periods where things semmed ok. So I will wait at least 1 full day before I respond to the poll. And then I will base my vote on the worst case I saw. I hope that this will result in a more useful data point. Or should I take the word "now" in the poll more literally?

I have noticed the site performance depends on the number of users.

When it is morning-daytime for me (India), the number of online users hardly touches 450-600. At this time, I don't see the 'heavily loaded... upgrading soon' very often. Perhaps 1 or 2 times out of every 10 times.

When it is late evening-night in India the number of online users touch 800-900. At this point, if I access the site, I get to see the 'heavily loaded...upgrading soon' very frequently. Something like 8-9 times out of 10 times that I try to access.

PS. This is only an observation based on what I have seen the last 3-4 days.

OK, I bumped the Load Average limit up to 25 :slight_smile:

Hi Perderabo!

Anyway you want to vote is OK with me! It's always much appreciated to get user feedback on things like performance and other service related topics.

Today and yesterday the site seems a little bit faster, even if it's not very quick... In the past days for all day long, however, the site was really unusable so the only thing I could read was nothing but the "heavily loaded" message! :smiley:

Oh, I also noticed that email notifications are disappeared from my inbox.
I suppose you've disabled them to give the server some breath :slight_smile:

Yes, I changed the MYSQL buffer allocation to try to keep the system from swapping. Also, I did disable email notifications until we complete the upgrade.

I am currently configuring the new server and a second new server will also be added today, so we should be up and running back at full speed very soon.

Neo/Team,
Last 1 hr back it seems too much slow and shows somewhat database problem.

Thanks
Sanjay