Setting Up Routing In Linux Redhat 9 Help

:mad: I have just recently got into using Linux RedHat 9. So far I love it, I have set it up on a server I am running. Right now I have set up Samba and am running a file server for my house. I have four computers, the linux box is connected to the internet through a switch I have. There are two NICS in the linux box, and I want one computer to gets its net connection through ther linux box. eth0 is connected to the internert, and eth1 is connected to my other computer with a crossover cable. Both card light up, but I get no net connection on my computer that is connected to the linux box. I have tried looking online for instuctions on how to set this up so i get a net connection on the other machine, but have had no help. If anyone knows how to do this or knows where to go to get step by step instructions please let me know.
P.S. I dont know a ton about networking..just enough to set up a swtich and get my machines online..

You will need to use ipchains (masquerading). Here is a howto: ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO

Basically what you want to do is setup your firewall rules so that eth0 will be external and eth1 will be internal. Then you will be able to foward packets.

Only why would you want to do this? Why not just hook up your other computer to the switch?

Hope this helps,
Robert

You can do this without ipchains... you simply enable IP forwarding in the Linux kernel. The rest is setting up the routing table correctly.

One example tutorial

Here is another example tutorial

(you get the idea...)

Neo

I need to do this because I am out of ports on my switch, and I already have the box with the two NICS in it.

Thanks guys I will try this out :slight_smile:
If anyone else has any help feel free to post it..I could use it

Ok that half way worked....I can get on my Intranet, but I cannot get to the Internet :mad: Does anyone have any suggestions? The linux box is online.

Thanks