sendmail : 550 host unknown

Hi

I try to configure snedmail as smtp for my solaris box. if the useres are local there's no problem everything's working fine, but is it outside, sendmail says it could find the host. why?! all other tools find diffrent host?
Could anyone tell me how I set up an easy mx ? So I test it with nslookup set querytype=mx and get email host for diffrent domains. How could I tell this infos sendmail ?

thanks!

Sounds like a DNS name resolution issue. What namesever are you using? Please post the output of:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

here it is

nameserver 62.65.128.10
nameserver 62.65.128.15

Hmmm. DNS server seems to be working fine......

Might be the old NIS switch problem in Solaris. See if this thread/post helps:

Or the entire DNS/NIS thread from the first page:

http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?threadid=1091&highlight=NIS\+DNS

Let us know if this helps.... if not, we can try another approach to troubleshoot the problem....

Sorry I don't get the right informations in these theards.

I think sendmail just coulnd't connect to the dns for mx/nslookup. I tried it manually and it works and get mx information of any host I want to know.

Is there any additional special dns config for sendmail name resolving ?

I think a is a bit strange then all other parts could resolv it without any problems.

I just want a simple smtp. I dont need any more.

I read about more and more tools. I don't need any named.conf don't you? Or did I misunderstand something!

It should really be an easy going smtp - no more.

Thank you for your help!!!

No, you don't need named.conf, that is for running a name server; you have a working nameserver already. sendmail uses a name resolution 9resolver) API to resolve hostnames. So does telnet, ftp, etc. Can you telnet to another host from the same server?

telnet test.host.com ??

Yes I can connect anywhere from this server! There's also running apache, fpt, telnet etc.

And I administrate the server on console from another station, and often i open ftp on this server to download tar gzs like apache, php etc...

Just ask for namend.conf because i wans't sure about it. but when I do it manually by nslookup on the solaris box. I get all mx result diffrent hosts.
tryout for berlin.de

nslookup
> set quertype=mx
> berlin.de
Server: ns02.ch.abatos.com
Address: 143.99.32.11

Nicht-autorisierte Antwort:
berlin.de MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = zeus.nic.dtag.de
berlin.de MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx0.berlin.de

zeus.nic.dtag.de internet address = 194.25.1.124
mx0.berlin.de internet address = 195.243.105.32

so the dns resolver works...

also could I send Mails to my server via smtp... but it's belin.de like my nslookup example. I get a postmaster message that it could find the host, but by nslookup, on the same server... it find the host!!! There's a brocken pipe between sendmail and dns resolving... im a bit confused about that!

So I don't know what I do wrong. And I'm not new to unix. So where are additional config for sendmail to dns resolv. I don't find more than sendmail.cf resolving entrie.

thank you!
.... i dont really what's wrong.

Interesting problem. Agree, your DNS resolver appears be just fine. Can you try this?

/usr/lib/sendmail -v unixdotcom@hushmail.com < /etc/services

(or some other file and/or valid email address of your choice)

Please post the output of the sendmail -v verbose command. Thanks.

Hi mrsaint,

From the conversation of your mails it seems that you wish to make your UNIX box a mailing server if I am not wrong.

Before some solutions I would like to know whether you are using some another mailing server \(for eg. MS-Exchange, Novell Groupwise, CC:Mail etc.\).

Also the configurations seen throughtout the mails I have read seems to be perfect. So what I feel is you are trying to send a mail to the outside world i.e. Internet ID's which routes through some mailing server.

Kindly let me know if you are doing so and also that if you want to make this UNIX box as a server or a client.

Regards,

vrk

yes you're right. The goal of this project is to setup an sloaris box as mailsserver with sendmail. Probably there's easier way with some other tools but that's not the questions and sense of this project.

So all that you need to set up is

1. resolv.conf

2. nsswitch.conf

Please see if this works out

Regards,

vrk

these files was already check. see the previous posts!

I didn't received any informations from this command.

( /usr/lib/sendmail user@domain.com < /etc/services )

What means that?!

Thanks

You forgot the switch -v

This puts sendmail in the verbose mode as it sends mails. My read on your problem was that your are having trouble sending mail, not necessarily receiving (now the problem seems to be receiving mail :wink: ). There is a big difference between a problem sending mail and a problem receiving mail.

Which problem are you trying to solve: Sending ? Receiving?

Mailservers receive mail. Any good mail client can send mail; this does not require a server process running.

What's going on? :slight_smile: Are we working on a service/server (receive) or just a simple client/DNS problem??? Thanks! :slight_smile:

I fogot it in my previous posting. Anyway, I get no informations on this command. just a blinking cursor - no more. The server cuodl receive mails but just localhost domain mails working diffrent domains not.:frowning:
Is there a strange sendmail version that I've got? I read something about some bugs in any version, but I thing solaris comes out as a working box...

After a few minutes I get one

I tested with my email address... at a diffrent domain, no localhost/domain

>WARNING: localhost name (venus) is not qualified; fix $j in config file
>/etc/services ... Cannot mail directly to files

I think the infos about localhost dont import but the $j entrie.

I fixed the unqualified hostname. snemdial is strict. just add in the hosts file the domain name at the host.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx venus logost youdomain.ch

but I've still got the
Cannot mail directly to files...

Not sure what you mean by 'mailing directly to files.' You still have not really clearly articulated what your are trying to do, what is the configuration, where is the mail client, where is the mail server, etc. etc.

You must articulate (describe) exactly the configuration and what you are trying to accomplish if we are to resolve this issue.

What is the FQDN of the host your are trying to send mail from?

What is the FQDN of the host your are trying to send mail to?

(FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name)

when I tested sendmail with this command.

/usr/lib/sendmail -v info@berlin.de < /etc/services

this is what I get...

>/etc/services ... Cannot mail directly to files

I know that's a 550 failure. It should be just a smtp service on this mail server. later I will define a fqdn, at the moment we working with a static ip. But this should be a problem, we dont need it, we don't received any mails from outside.

So why dont check sendmail the dns, and just the hardcoded files for host entries.

thanks

now i've got this output of the sendmail -v user@domain command.

I used my emailaddress from a diffrent provider, an I received an emai message by my smtp server that the domain doesn't found

this is the output

patrick... Connecting to local...
220 venus LMTP ready
>>> LHLO venus.sharkms.ch
250-venus
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 PIPELINING
>>> MAIL From:<>
250 2.5.0 ok
>>> RCPT To:<patrick>
250 2.1.5 ok