Role of AI in any OS

In any given operating system, generally how much of AI software is involved? Is it related to user-friendliness of OS?
What is the future of strong AI?

AI seems to be losing favor. Studies show that, in the current day and age, even with powerful processors and cheap memory, computers have the "intelligence" about equal to an earthworm.

The area that is gaining ground is in agents (I would hesitate to call them "intelligenct agents") that do small tasks for humans.

I just had a long telphone conversation with student working on his thesis who interviewed me on this topic, and the mental image to keep in mind is Tom Cruise in front of the large parabolic screen in the movie "Minority Report".

In Minority Report, Tom Hank's character is shown working with a large screen supported by what appears to be agent-based software supporting information retrieval and human data analysis.

Agents help humans, but the 'intelligence' is in the human mind.

Thanks for reply. What I wanted to know is whether we do not have sufficient knowledge,skills and advance technology or just the field itself is fuzzy to progress? :confused:

Mainly we don't have the computing/processing power, according to the literature. There are plenty of graphs on the net which show the prediction of when computers will have processing power that is similar to other life forms.

To date, we are still at the "earthworm" level, and AI reduces to procedural knowledge in expert systems, not true AI.