RHEL 7 Convert from MBR to GPT

Trying to reimage RHEL 7 onto new hardware that only supports UEFI boot mode and I have so far been unable to convert the MBR file format to GPT to make this bootable.

I have followed the directions at this link: redhat.c0m/sysadmin/bios-uefi
but when trying to mount the newly created partition I get an error "mount: can't find /dev/disk/by-partlabel/EFI-system/mnt in /etc/fstab"

Hello,

Welcome to the forum ! We hope you enjoy your time here, and find this to be a friendly and helpful place.

Looking at this problem from an entirely different angle, here's a suggestion: given that you are migrating like-for-like from RHEL7 to RHEL 7, and it's only the hardware that's changing, a better option might just to be to do a clean install on the new hardware, install all the packages you need on the new server, patch it up to the same patchlevel as the original system, then copy all your content and configuration files across form the old system to the new.

You'll then have a nice new clean system with the content and application configuration files from your old one, and (in theory, at least) everything should work fairly easily, since the major versions of the underlying software aren't going to be changing. Only copy across what you need and only install what packages you need, and you'll be getting a fresh start and an easy migration of your stuff.

Personally, if I was in a situation where I was able to bring the old and new systems on-line together, that's what I would do. I wouldn't be trying to copy the hard drive image of the old server onto the new one, or anything like that. I'd just install RHEL using a vendor-supported method on the new server, set it up as close to identically as to the original server as I could, then migrate my content and configurations across. That way you don't worry about having to covert from legacy BIOS to UEFI, or re-creating or enlarging filesystems, or anything like that.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I was typing the command wrong to mnt it but RHEL 7.2 is incompatible with a DELL R350 so we had to update to RHEL 8.4