Requesting a new forum

Hi admins and moderators!!

Happy new year and merry Christmas :smiley:

Well, I have been here a few months now as a registered member and may be 6-7 years that I got numerous help directly and indirectly from this site as a guest.

Unix.com really has a vast collection of posts on wide variety of issues on different UN*X platforms. I have been thinking the only thing that we lack here is that of a forum where experienced UNIX/Linux admins can post there unique experiences, disaster/recovery, any issue they solved on their own with a very little help. Also, people can post their own scripts, codes, etc. which they devised solely and want to share with others with similar issues. I have seen many people post in their own personal blogs about things which not only helped them but also have the potential of being savior for others.

Most of the forums are a place to ask for help. But, it would be really nice to have a forum where you can get a solution even before you ask. Newbies can have the opportunity to learn from the experiences shared by the senior admins.

What do you think? :slight_smile:

What would this new forum be called?

I don't have a clue yet!! What you guys suggest?

It's a good idea, so I don't suppose the name is so important - we can always change it. Deciding where to put it is proving a bit trickier! Perhaps we need a new place. Do you have something to contribute, to "get the ball rolling"?

Yes, I have quiet a few "short" stories to tell. But what's more important is to have experienced people share their experiences.

Why don't we start with you guys' nightmares? :wink:

I always found real life experiences more helpful than bookish advices. That's the reason for this request. Hoping to see the new forum get started :slight_smile:

Hi Neo & Scott...

Is there any chance to get the new forum (if at all approved!!) started with the new year? :wink:

We could always rename "operating Systems" by "Systems administration - operating systems specifics" or something of the sort, and add the new forum here...

Just thoughts...

Hello vbe!!

Thanks for the reply.

The forum would be a platform for knowledge and experience sharing. This may not be operating system specific or may not even be system administration related. Suppose a developer wants to share something, it would not necessarily be administration related. But yes, the content of the forum must certainly be UNIX/Linux related. If I were to put the forum some where, it would be in the "Special Forums" zone (just an opinion).

When I joined my company (big IT giant, guess the name ;)) as a junior admin, the mangers said I have to attend the "Knowledge Transfer" session. I thought they might have invented a way of transferring "knowledge" through a USB cable of some sort. Well, it was the session taken by the senior admins during the training where they used to share their stories of sleepless nights, mistakes they made and how they found solutions when they virtually did not have any support, how they got seasoned. To make it short, that session was more enjoyable than any thing else and taught me a whole bunch of things which I could never expect from a book or from any other resources.

It would be a good thing to have unix.com open up a forum for the same purpose. I know this site bears a lot of traffic (expected as you search something in google and the first hit is unix.com :D) and it would be very helpful for novice and wanna-be's like me.

How about we create a forum called "War Stories" and put the forum as a subforum in the lounge for now?

Sounds good!!

Done!

War Stories

Thank you so much!! :wink:

We might eventually move this forum under the "What's On Your Mind" main forum... time will tell :slight_smile:

Maybe move the "War Stories" forum as a subforum soon? Seems it is not getting much activity, the only post there is one we moved there!

I think it's a very good thing to have even if it's not seeing much use yet. I'm sure some of us will remember good ones(or better, awful ones) we feel like posting sooner or later.

It's kind of disappointing to see the forum is not getting expected posts though! I think it would be great if our moderators and admins start sharing their experiences there! just a thought! :smiley: