RedHat and Ethernet card no like each other

I have searched this forum for solution and have drawn a blank... so I come to you for help :slight_smile:

I an a Win XP user that has no problem getting on internet when I am on that OS (currently on it right now ;)). I installed red hat 9 and when I use that OS, I cannot get a connection. I ran the internet connection wizard, but linux is not detecting my ethernet card for some reason. What can I do? I am very new to this scene :cool: . With XP, most of the common drivers are already installed, so I had to do nothing to get my broadband internet working. Am I going to have to find linux drivers for my card and install them? :confused:

Thanx

MR

redhat should auto detect it with no problem. what type of card is it? it is possible (though unlikley) that it is not supported. find out what driver to use for your card, and see the ETHERNET HOW-TO

Its an intergrated card that is built in my asus p4pe mobo. It is a Broadcom BCM5702. It is not listen on that web site.

If the ethernet card is not listed in the Linux "Hardware HowTo" then you will have trouble getting it to work with Linux.

Your best best is to buy a cheap card that *is* supported and install it in one of your unused PCI slots...... Neo

aaah fudge, i quit :frowning:

thanx for help. this is becoming too much for me

That's one of the problems with built-in features on motherboards....... most Linux users tend to select their hardware to match the operating system.

If you knew the chipset used, you might be able to rebuild the kernal to work with the chipset; but, it sounds like you are not interested in such adventures :slight_smile:

i had a problem with an onboard NIC on an ASUS, i just couldnt get it to work. i ended up just installing a spare netgear card i had lying around and it worked perfectly : ) . It looks like ASUS onboard NICs just dont work, the strange thing is, SuSE detected the card and installed the driver, it just didnt work. anyway, intels onboard NICs do work with no trouble, for me anyway. dont give up, id suggest you pick up a netgear FA311 ( i think that is correct ) network card and just throw it in, it should work with no problem. once you DO get everything working, you will feel very accomplished, and you will get alot of use out of your new OS!!

rebuild kernals, whoa now... lol :smiley: . I dont even know what a kernal is, let alone rebuild one (yes, I am another st00pid n00bie).

I think I might just do what norsk hedensk and you (neo) suggested and get a cheap network card. But how will I know that it will be compatible with linux? I might end up with another dud.

modprobe bcm5700
That may work^^, try it.

If you do not have this already (ie. if you get an error), download it from this page of Asus' website.
Honestly that took me about 30 seconds to find :slight_smile:

oh thanx. but i tried to install this thing already and had no success. Boy is it hard installing stuff on linux. I am use to clicking on a setup file and having windows take care of the rest lol.

what exactly do you mean when you say "try this?"

Here is the Linux driven for your platform:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16420.html

Here is another site that has it:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/bcm5700-source.html

Here is RedHat specfic info on your driver:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-modules-ethernet.html

PS: A google search with keywords:

....yields lots of useful installation information..... :slight_smile: