[Question] Learning UNIX from scratch with BSD

Heya,

My niece has taken an interest in computing, and I thought I'd try and contain her to BSD for her first UNIX experience (she's nearly thirteen).

Anyone know any good resources (ideally physical books/pdf) that teach users both UNIX (ie terminal commands) and BSD itself (kernel, architecture).

I have an old copy of "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD OS" but I think this is vastly too technical for an absolute beginner.

1 Like

Hi @trishnafile5

Young people tend to need things which are new and trendy and have opportunity for social interactions.

Why not start her off with Linux since most everything around us is built on Linux these days?

While it might be sentimental to look at more legacy UNIX operating systems; I think for a young person, something which is used extensively in 2020 would be more appealing.

Why not get her a RaspberryPI and have her learn from there?

There's plenty of OS Options available (both Linux and non-Linux based) and some reasonably good books for getting to know the platform and programming from the RaspberryPI Press, most of which are aimed at getting kids interested in computing and programming so pretty good resources for someone starting out.

3 Likes