Problem Reading lsil.btld diskette or Memory Issue

I need to switch a client from the Adaptec 39320D (PCI-X) to LSI (PCIe) SCSI host adapter. I used ftp and Mozilla for SCO 5.0.7 and got the lsil.btld files. I followed the directions in the Readme file and made the btld diskette. I replaced my SCSI drive with the client's drive and rebooted. At the boot prompt, I typed defbootstr link=lsil. But the floppy drive light never come on (yes, I had the btld diskette in the floppy drive). I get an error message to the effect that "memory error loading kernel hd(40) unix.txt. Also, the checksums for the files on the diskette don't match those stated in the Readme file--I don't understand why that should be, either. Help! (My own lsil system boots perfectly, when I replaced the client's hard drive with mine.)

Hi @Transpower.

Thanks for the details. It appears your boot time loadable driver file is not being loaded for some reason, not fully explained by the error message you posted.

Do you have screen shots of this boot process, or can you take them?

Perhaps @hicksd8 has more ideas?

A number of things immediately come to mind.

Firstly, have you checked the machine's BIOS to ensure the floppy device is seen and that (available in later BIOSs) the device is not disabled for security reasons. Check the boot device order that the floppy is first and then restart the machine with a (blank) floppy disk in the drive and see if the floppy light comes on in an attempt to boot. I accept this only checks out the hardware and has no bearing on the error you are seeing.

Is the floppy a five and a quarter or a three and a half?

Secondly, you could specify the device to load the driver from on the boot string. To do that you would need something like:

(Assuming a three and a half inch floppy)

boot: defbootstr link="lsil" btld=fd(64)

It worries me that your checksum doesn't tally. Perhaps the floppy image download was corrupt?? Try it again. Are you downloading the image for a different size floppy than what you've got? How are you creating the floppy? What command are you using?

Hope that helps and is a start. Post back your progress.

It might be worthwhile one of us moderators moving this thread to the SCO Unix forum where our resident SCO expert @jgt will see it and chip in.

1 Like

The floppy drive is working fine. When my hard drive is attached, the floppy drive light comes on. Also, I've been able to make btld diskettes using it. All I'm doing is going back and forth between my hard drive--which has the lsil driver installed and working (since 2012)--and the client's hard drive--which does not have the lsil driver installed. You may certainly move this thread if you like. Currently I'm more concerned with the memory error when the client's hard drive is attached.

I think the memory error is because there is no driver for that HBA when it tries to boot from hard drive. Do you have the SCO installation media (CD/DVD)?

If you boot from that and then at the 'boot:' prompt enter the 'defbootstr' as I defined above, what happens? It should complete the boot and install SCO on the drive including the HBA driver.

Also, are you sure that the new hard drive is configured correctly? i.e. Is it set to SCSI ID 0, is the HBA set to SCSI ID 7? Or are you happy that the drive is working? Have you checked the HBAs BIOS settings are correct? Jumpers on the hard drive? Perhaps throw on a Windows or Linux OS just to check out that the hard drive subsystem works.

Reading material:
http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=105356&qid=607660960&sid=565157833&pgnum=1

Problem

Can I change my SCSI root controller to another type without
      reinstalling?

Solution

Changing your SCSI root controller to another type without
      reinstalling is not strictly supported. One of the many issues
      that can add to the difficulty is a possible incompatibility
      problem with the disk geometry translation in the new adapters
      BIOS. This problem could force you to re-lowlevel format the
      drive to establish the geometry required by the new host adapter.

Because this can be a difficult procedure, it is a useful to have
      an example of steps involved in modifying the SCO UNIX Version
      4.2 Link kit. Below you will find an example of replacing an
      Adaptec 1540 adapter with an Adaptec 2940 adapter under SCO UNIX
      Version 4.2.

1. You must install the new adapter driver into the link kit.
         If the new driver is a BTLD driver, install it using the
         following instructions (if it's not a BTLD, follow the
         instructions included with the driver):

- Mount the BTLD floppy on the /mnt directory:

/etc/mount -r /dev/install /mnt

- Install the BTLD floppy contents into the kernel link kit
        with the btldinstall(ADM) program:

/etc/btldinstall /mnt

- Unmount the floppy:

/etc/umount /dev/install

2. Remove the old host adapter driver from your kernel
         configuration by editing the file:

/etc/conf/sdevice.d/ad

Change the Y to N in the second column, as in this example:

ad Y 1 5 0 0 330 332 0 0

To:

ad N 1 5 0 0 330 332 0 0

Make the same change in the file /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice.

3. In the same directory, edit the file that corresponds to
         the new host adapter (alad). Change N to Y in the second column.

Make the same change in the file /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice.

4. Edit the file /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi, replacing each instance of
         the old host adapter driver name (ad) with the new name (alad).
         Change the first column only (from ad to alad).

*ha attach number ID lun bus

ad Stp 0 2 0 0
ad Sdsk 0 0 0 0

To:

alad Stp 0 2 0 0
alad Sdsk 0 0 0 0

5. Relink your kernel to rebuild your system configuration with
         the new adapter using these commands:

cd /etc/conf/cf.d
./link_unix -y

6. Reboot the system.

NOTE:

Different adapters use different geometries in their BIOS,
      which means you may have to re-lowlevel format the drive on
      the new host adapter before the host adapter can write to the
      drive. If you still experience problems after following the
      steps above, reinstall the operating system using the new adapter.
1 Like

Important: The client's drive is NOT new--I must preserve their data!!!! I made the switch from Adaptec to LSI in 2012 for my own business SCO UNIX system--I should be able to do the same for my client's hard drive.

In the long run, it will be cheaper if you just buy an Adaptec controller.

I have an LSI controller in my system already. I'm trying to convert the client's hard drive to work with an LSI host adapter by using my system to boot with. His new computer has the LSI host adapter already. I suppose, though, we could replace the motherboard in the new computer with a PCI-X motherboard and use the Adaptec 39320D host adapter.

Then read the instructions carefully in my first post, and make sure you have a good backup. You do have to perform the changes using the Adaptec controller, then move the drive.
Before you start, copy /stand/unix to /stand/unix.adaptec.

1 Like

If a motherboard has an on-board SCSI adapter you can often switch that adapter off from the system BIOS.

Actually, in the long run it will be better to move off of SCO 5.0.7, which was released 17 years ago and is long obsolete:

See also:

My questions for @Transpower, are as follows:

• Why is your "client" running on a long obsolete operating system?
  • What is the application running on that OS which is the core business process?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.