Private Messages.

Well I have just noticed over the years that I have PMs that I have not seen or even known about.
Apologies if any of you have not had any replies to your PMs. It is too late now as some go back to my early days on here.
The notification that comes up currently has notified me of a couple recently...

Bazza...

Hahaha
You are not the only one... I am culprit also, just noticed yesterday.... Shame on me... wasnt there warnings at one time on the site itself? I seem to remember something of the sort but my memory is playing with me lately...

I also remember some indicator for the existence of PM's. But, I have been on the site for so long, do not remember when it may have ended.

When you log on to the site you are autmatically notified when there are new PMs. Since i always clear all cookies and every web content when i close the browser i have to relogin every time i start a new session here and i am notified that way. I found that it is a good ide to whitelist unix.com from the pop-up blocker so that the PMs are getting opened in a separate window.

Wolf

1 Like

As I recall, and record shows, wisecracker and a few other regular forum members use the Firefox browser:

UA:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.14; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0

As a very experienced web developer, I have mentioned many times here at unix.com that Firefox as serious problems as a browser.

The recommended and supported browsers for this site are:

1. Chrome
  2. Safari

The following browsers are not recommended and therefore not supported:

• Firefox
  • Opera
  • Other Browsers

Some may feel like Firefox's blocking and anti-tracking features are good, but I can assure you, as a very experienced web developer, that the Firefox browser causes many basic Javascript functions to break and it is very difficult to disable the bad things that Firefox does in the name of "privacy". I can block and set up whitelists very easily on Chrome and Safari, but trying to get Firefox to work correctly and consistently is very difficult. This is why Firefox is not supported and I will not support web development for Firefox until this situation with Firefox changes.

So, if you use Firefox because you are worried about "privacy" and wish to block features by default which are difficult to configure, by all means use Firefox. But if you want to get the full features of UNIX.COM today and the future, you need a browser which supports modern web standards consistently and Javascript. So, the best solution for diehard Firefox users is to browse the web with Firefox but browse these forums with Chrome or Firefox.

If you have disabled Javascript or are blocking Javascript, this site will not work properly.

We do not support Firefox. This is based on day-to-day web development and the fact that Firefox breaks things, blocks standard Javascript functions; and I simply do not have the time or the energy to spend my time coding "Firefox workarounds". I am sorry.

Install Chrome or Safari and browse UNIX.COM.

It takes about two minutes to install Chrome or Safari on your system, and there is no reason to restrict yourself to browsing with only one browser.

2 Likes

The PM indicators work fine.

I received a number of them yesterday.

If you are not receiving indicators the problem is more than likely your browser configuration.

UA:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

However, we cannot know for sure your browser from the US string, as often it is not accurate.

Is that you? Using Windows and Firefox?

PS: I just replied to a member using a PM and they were immediately notified and read my message, so again, the PM notification system is working fine.

Not to belabor the point, but I just received a PM a few minutes ago.... the notification system works fine on Chrome, Safari and even my version of Firefox and even Opera ! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Occasionally we get lucky and Firefox works as it should even though FF is not officially supported here, LOL

I apologize for offtopic.
It is sad to read this about the legend of FF. And until today I thought that this was only my personal problemma.
I used it for a long time until new releases broke compatibility with many plugins, including "vimperator".
Thanks to Neo for the detailed explanation, and yet very sad.

1 Like

You are welcome.

For many people who are not web developers, it's hard to understand about browsers and browser compatibility and how browsers work with all the latest web-dev trends.

For me, it seems that FF is trying to carve a niche for themselves in the area of "user privacy" but they have taking it too far; breaking a lot of good applications, crippling modern Javascript apps, etc.

Firfox is simply "too extreme" and "breaks perfectly good Javascript functionality".... and since the users have no idea Firefox is breaking things, users have no idea why thing do not work. They comment to web sites things are not working, but if they would just try and user a great browser like Chrome or Safari, things would work better. For sure!!

I seriously advise diehard FF fans to keep using FF is they want to; but when viewing UNIX.COM use Chrome or Safari... both support all our Javascript features well, and we will be adding more, not less, modern JS features over time.

I simple do not have time to deal with the "extremism" of Firefox and their "we break the web and we do not care" attitude. It's no wonder FF keeps losing market share!

Download page for Chrome:

Google Chrome: The Most Secure Browser on the Web

1 Like

Hi all...

Just for the record...

Bizarrely enough, FF did actually notify me of a PM both the day before yesterday and yesterday. This is how I discovered previous missed PMs. I don't personally check for PMs to find out if I have had any.

And indeed FF is now at version 65.0, mine was updated yesterday.

And just for the record, once again:

We do not support Firefox here at UNIX.COM for the reasons I have mentioned many times.

We highly recommend you browse the forums using Chrome or Safari for the optimal user experience.

As you can see from the image below, I have four browsers installed on my development desktop. Firefox breaks things. We do not support FF and have no plans to support FF because of problems with their browser.

We highly recommend you browse the forums using Chrome or Safari for the optimal user experience.