Please consider adding an Anti 996 License

Please consider adding an Anti 996 License to jointly oppose overtime work around the world.

A "996" work schedule refers to an unofficial work schedule (9a.m. ~ 9p.m., 6 days a week) that has been gaining in popularity. Serving a company that encourages the "996" work schedule usually means working for at least 60 hours a week.

It is a great progress from closed source to open source, and it will also be a great progress from open source to emphasize labor rights at the same time. What we want is to create an open source software license that advocates for workers' rights.

996.ICU
GitHub - 996icu/996.ICU: Repo for counting stars and contributing. Press F to pay respect to glorious developers.
LKML: 996icu_programmer: Please consider adding an Anti 996 License to jointly oppose overtime work around the world.

996... that sounds like my coding schedule, but easier. Lately my software development has been 997 ++ :slight_smile:

.... but Tim, I had you pinned in my mind as James Bond - 007

:cool:

Robin

1 Like

Robin,

Are you sure?

You might think I am Donald "The Orange" Trump, where flattery gets you the nuclear codes!

:smiley:

1 Like

ROTFLMFAO!
Have you heard his 'oranges' == 'origins' speech?
I am saying nowt... ;oDD
Getting back to the OP, I had to look it up as I have never heard of an 'Anti 996 Licence'.

Jack Ma endorses China's controversial 12 hours a day, 6 days a week work culture

Under this so terrible environment in China, the Chinese developers contributed too much to these companies, but they got unfair payments, they have no time to advance
their technologies.
These companies made heavy use of open source products to build their business, they benefited too much, but they contributed nothing valuable to the open community.
Due to political policies, the Chinese developers can do nothing to fight this, if some big projects such as GCC, Linux, MySQL etc accept the Anti 996 License, some changes may happen.
We need your help!

As Jack Ma mentioned, everyone has a choice. Those who put in more hours will tend to make more money or "change the world" as Jack Ma said.

Creating 996 licenses in software is not going to change the culture of people working hard to get ahead in a very competitive world, I don't think. It's a very noble cause, but I don't think 996 will gain traction, sorry.

What I have always said is that if you are going to work long hours, then develop software for yourself and create your own company and do not work for others. You have a choice. If you don't have a choice, then find a way to put yourself in a position to choose, which normally means working hard making good investments in yourself so that someday you can make money from your knowledge in your own business.

Don't be like the many people I have seen and met over the years who are experts in cyber security or some technology, but never create any software or do hands on sys admin work.

Working for someone else is a choice. When people don't like it, then find a way out of the situation you do not like and become more independent. That is the freedom of today's world where everyone is connected to everyone else on the net. Go live in the mountains, next to a lake, or move close to the ocean and write software. Choose to be happy.

Generally speaking, people choose to work for a company owned by someone else. That is a choice, at least in most of the world and the people who often put in the most hours at work are in startups trying to change the world and get rich.

Many people believe that working for a big company provides them "financial security" so they choose to work for others. That is a choice.

Every moment of life is a choice.

If you don't want to work 996 for some big company, then stop and work 996 for yourself. If you don't have the financial means to work for yourself, then find a way to have the financial means to work for yourself.

That's my view, but of course YMMV and not everyone agrees.

At least we can be gentlemen and agreed to disagree politely and respectfully.

1 Like

I don't see that putting licenses on software is relevant to people's working hours, any more than you might put a bill of civil rights on software. You can't enforce that.

1 Like

GitHub - MSWorkers/support.996.ICU: Microsoft and GitHub Workers Support 996.ICU

1 Like