New Icons Coming from Font Awesome

Also, Don, I logged in as you, and all looks correct, see screenshot, give thanks, thanks button goes bye bye.... remove thanks, thanks button reappears:

1 Like

Strange. I see what you're seeing on most posts. But on the first quote above, I have given thanks and still see a Thumbs-Up icon in the lower left corner above the note saying I have given thanks.

See attached screenshot...

1 Like

Update:

I think it is fixed now. I'll look at other issues (like changing the badges back to the original ones), when I am back at my desk in around 10 hour from now.

Thanks again.

Please confirm when you get a chance.

1 Like

It seems to be fixed. I'm always curious about what caused one of these intermittent problems... What did you find?

Fixed (I think) LOL

OK.. On the TODO list (Update: Fixed 1 August 2018 ).

Easy CSS Fix:

style="text-decoration:none;" in <a> element

OK. I will change it to the Chalkboard-teach icon from Font Awesome. Great idea!

OK.. Will take a look. Please post an example link (user) where this problem occurs.

OK.. I think I'll revert back to the original gif icons for now and I don't have any good "Font Awesomes" for this.

Easy fix. Will do Thanks again.

Hey.

There was a vB conditional statement inside the DOM span element which set the element attribute "style="display:none;" based on a PHP variable to hide the thumbs-up icon.

For some odd reason, it did not work properly.

So, I got rid of the vB conditional in the DOM element and moved the if statement outside the entire <span></span> element and removed the attribute "style="display:none;" code inside the element.

On the surface, it should have done the same thing, but this way seems to work without any glitches.

1 Like

I think it is fixed too.

OK.

Note that I suggested using the Chalkboard-teach icon for two conditions (solid for on-line and light for hidden) and the solid Chalkboard icon for one condition (off-line).

The obvious example is the link to your Home Page from your (i.e. Neo) public profile Contact Info tab.

OK.

OK.

1 Like

Yes, the link in my public profile page to my "home page" goes to the home page of the forums.

That is the link I set up in my UserCP as my home page.

So that is the right behavior (at least for me).

1 Like

Done.

I also reinstated the original badges as a couple of you requested.

Thanks.

Note: All your feedback and comments were very helpful and the site is much better because of you guys.

I'll be slacking off until I get my 34" "development monitor" fixed. Working on small screens gives me a headache.

2 Likes

OK. Sorry. I thought I had remembered you having a home page that displayed some of your diving adventures. :o

Thanks for fixing the things I've reported. I like the new look and it seems to be working well. :cool:

In addition to having a nice development monitor (which I don't have), I think I should also point out that getting more than four hours of sleep per night also helps reduce headaches. :wink:

Another nit to add to the bottom of your list of things to do...

When one hits the Thumbs Up icon to give thanks for a post, the user's name appears and the Thumbs Up icon disappears from the bottom left corner of the post (as it should) but the thanks counter for the submitter of that post in the upper right corner of the post does not increment (or decrement if thanks is removed) until the page is redisplayed.

I realize that counter could appear in multiple posts on a single page of posts from a thread. It would be nice if all of them were updated, but it seems to me that at least the counter in the thanked post should be updated as part of the "give thanks" operation.

Hey Don,

Updating the counters are all cron based for performance reasons and so it's unlikely I will make any changes to update counters in real time. To create data base queries to update counters in real time would case a significant performance hit for the site and updating counters in real time is not necessary.

If I hit the thumbs up button and refresh the screen, the counter goes up. If I remove my thanks on that post and refresh the screen again, the counter goes down. All of this occurs is in less than 5 seconds. How often is this cron job running to it make this look like it is happening in real time? :confused:

Don,

Let's put this discussion on hold as we have much more higher priorities than getting counters to update in real-time (at this time).

Plus, my work monitor is dead and I'm waiting for the tech to come here in the next day or two (ASUS onsite service).

I did say that this was a nit to be added to the BOTTOM of your list of things to do...

But, as I said, if I hit the thanks icon and refresh the screen, the counter is incremented in real time. And, if I remove my thanks and refresh the screen, the counter is decremented in real time. I could easily believe that cron was invoked between hitting the thanks icon and refreshing the screen OR between hitting remove thanks and refreshing the screen; but I can't believe that cron is running twice in less than five seconds and catching both the increment and decrement at just the right times to update the counter on both screen refreshes.

See the attached three sequential screen shots noting the timestamps on the screen shots and the thanks counter in the upper right corner of your post. (It did take me 12 seconds to get the three screen shots, but I still find it unlikely that cron ran twice in that 12 second period.)

It seems that the names of the underlying files isn't included when the screen shots are uploaded. The timestamps on the three screen shots are: 2018-07-31 at 8.57.52 PM, 2018-07-31 at 8.57.57 PM, and 2018-07-31 at 8.58.04 PM.

Here is the file post_thanks.php

Please review the PHP code and reply with the PHP code (or pseudo code and location in the file if you are not a PHP person), that will provide the functionality you wish about updating thanks counters. This is not something I'm working on (anytime soon) as it is not related to tables, divs, CSS etc; and I need to stay focused on the task at hand (when I get my development monitor fixed, LOL, so I can work again). The way all forum counters update are a different discussion related to core vB counters and cron and their update frequency, a task / feature which I'm not working on anytime soon, but you can certainly code this and help if you have time and want to do it (also attached):

Note: This file updates the thanks and count for posts. There is a cron which runs that goes thru all the post updated each users count. This happens with some frequency each day, but frankly I have no time for the near future to look into counters, as my plate is more than full with other forum coding tasks.

<?php
/*=====================================*\
|| ################################### ||
|| # Post Thank You Hack version 7.5 # ||
|| ################################### ||
\*=====================================*/

// ####################### SET PHP ENVIRONMENT ###########################
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

// #################### DEFINE IMPORTANT CONSTANTS #######################
define('THIS_SCRIPT', 'post_thanks');
define('CSRF_PROTECTION', true);
define('LOCATION_BYPASS', 1);
define('NOPMPOPUP', 1);

// ################### PRE-CACHE TEMPLATES AND DATA ######################
// get special phrase groups
$phrasegroups = array();

// get special data templates from the datastore
$specialtemplates = array();

// pre-cache templates used by all actions
$globaltemplates = array(
	'post_thanks_box', 
    'post_thanks_box_bit', 
    'post_thanks_button', 
    'post_thanks_postbit', 
    'post_thanks_postbit_legacy'
);

// pre-cache templates used by specific actions
$actiontemplates = array();

// ######################### REQUIRE BACK-END ############################
require_once('./global.php');
require_once(DIR . '/includes/functions_post_thanks.php');

// #######################################################################
// ######################## START MAIN SCRIPT ############################
// #######################################################################

$vbulletin->input->clean_array_gpc('r', array(
	'using_ajax'       => TYPE_UINT,
	'securitytoken' => TYPE_STR
));
$using_ajax = $vbulletin->GPC['using_ajax'];
$securitytoken = $vbulletin->GPC['securitytoken'];

($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_start')) ? eval($hook) : false;

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'post_thanks_add')
{
	($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_add_thanks_start')) ? eval($hook) : false;

$postinfo = array_merge($postinfo, fetch_userinfo($postinfo['userid']));
	if (post_thanks_off($forumid, $postinfo, $threadinfo['firstpostid']) || 
               !can_thank_this_post($postinfo, $threadinfo['isdeleted'], true, $securitytoken) || 
               thanked_already($postinfo))
	{
       // error_log("Thanks Validate: ".$vbulletin->userinfo[username].' Enter using_ajax ' ."\n",3,'/tmp/thanks.txt');
		$using_ajax ? exit : print_no_permission();
	}

add_thanks($postinfo);

($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_add_thanks_end')) ? eval($hook) : false;

if ($using_ajax)
	{
                error_log("Thanks Process: ".$vbulletin->userinfo[username].' Enter using_ajax ' ."\n",3,'/tmp/thanks.txt');
		$thanks = fetch_thanks($postid, '', true);

$postinfo['post_thanks_bit'] = fetch_thanks_bit($forumid, $thanks);

$postinfo['post_thanks_amount'] = $postinfo['post_thanks_amount'] + 1;
		$postinfo['post_thanks_amount_formatted'] = vb_number_format($postinfo['post_thanks_amount']);

if ($vbulletin->options['post_thanks_delete_own'])
		{
			$postinfo['show_thanks_remove_option'] = true;
		}

$echo = fetch_post_thanks_template($postinfo);
		echo "$echo";
		exit;
	}
	else
	{
		$vbulletin->url = "showthread.php?$session[sessionurl]p=$postid";
		eval(print_standard_redirect('redirect_post_thanks'));
	}

}

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'post_thanks_remove_all')
{
	($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_remove_all_thanks_start')) ? eval($hook) : false;

if (!(can_delete_all_thanks()))
	{
	}

delete_all_thanks($postinfo);

($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_remove_all_thanks_end')) ? eval($hook) : false;

if ($using_ajax)
	{
		exit;
	}
	else
	{
	}
}

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'post_thanks_remove_user')
{
	($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_remove_user_thanks_start')) ? eval($hook) : false;

if (!(delete_thanks($postinfo, $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'])))
	{
	}	

($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_remove_user_thanks_end')) ? eval($hook) : false;

$postinfo['post_thanks_amount'] = $postinfo['post_thanks_amount'] - 1;

if ($postinfo['post_thanks_amount'] > 0 && $using_ajax)
	{     
		$thanks = fetch_thanks($postid, '', true);

$postinfo['post_thanks_bit'] = fetch_thanks_bit($forumid, $thanks);

$postinfo['post_thanks_amount_formatted'] = vb_number_format($postinfo['post_thanks_amount']);
		$postinfo['post_thanks_user'] = false;
		$postinfo['ajax'] = true;

$echo = fetch_post_thanks_template($postinfo);
		echo "$echo";
		exit;
	}
	else if ($using_ajax)
	{
		exit;
	}
	else
	{
	}
}

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'findthanks')
{
	require_once(DIR . '/includes/functions_search.php');
	require_once(DIR . '/includes/functions_misc.php');
        $action = 'findthanks';

'userid'	=> TYPE_UINT,
	));

// valid user id?
	if (!$vbulletin->GPC['userid'])
	{
		eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalidid', $vbphrase['user'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
	}

// get user info
	if ($user = $db->query_first("SELECT userid, username, posts FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user WHERE userid = " . $vbulletin->GPC['userid']))
	{
		$searchuser =& $user['username'];
	}
	// could not find specified user
	else
	{
		eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalidid', $vbphrase['user'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
	}

// #############################################################################
	// build search hash
	$query = '';
	$searchuser = $user['username'];
	$exactname = 1;
	$starteronly = 0;
	$forumchoice = $foruminfo['forumid'];
	$childforums = 1;
	$titleonly = 0;
	$showposts = 1;
	$searchdate = 0;
	$beforeafter = 'after';
	$replyless = 0;
	$replylimit = 0;
	$searchthreadid = 0;

$searchhash = md5(TIMENOW . "||" . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . "||" . strtolower($searchuser) . 
              "||$exactname||$starteronly||$forumchoice||$childforums||$titleonly||$showposts||
                $searchdate||$beforeafter||$replyless||$replylimit||$searchthreadid");

// check if search already done
	//if ($search = $db->query_first("SELECT searchid FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "search AS search WHERE searchhash = '" . $db->escape_string($searchhash) . "'"))
	//{
	//	$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$search[searchid]";
	//	eval(print_standard_redirect('search'));
	//}

// start search timer
	$searchtime = microtime();

$forumids = array();
	$noforumids = array();
	// #############################################################################
	// check to see if we should be searching in a particular forum or forums
	if ($forumids = fetch_search_forumids($vbulletin->GPC['forumchoice'], $vbulletin->GPC['childforums']))
	{
		$showforums = true;
	}
	else
	{
		foreach ($vbulletin->forumcache AS $forumid => $forum)
		{
			$fperms =& $vbulletin->userinfo['forumpermissions']["$forumid"];
			if (($fperms & $vbulletin->bf_ugp_forumpermissions['canview']))
			{
				$forumids[] = $forumid;
			}
		}
		$showforums = false;
	}

if (empty($forumids))
	{
		eval(standard_error(fetch_error('searchnoresults', $displayCommon), '', false));
	}
	else
	{
		// query post ids in dateline DESC order...
		($_REQUEST['orderdate'])?$_ST="post_thanks.date":$_ST="post.dateline";

$orderedids = array();
		$posts = $db->query_read("
			SELECT DISTINCT post.postid
			FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post AS post
			RIGHT JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post_thanks AS post_thanks ON post_thanks.postid=post.postid
			INNER JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "thread AS thread ON(thread.threadid = post.threadid)
			WHERE post.userid = $user[userid]
				AND post.post_thanks_amount != 0
				AND thread.forumid IN(" . implode(',', $forumids) . ")
			ORDER BY $_ST DESC
			LIMIT " . ($vbulletin->options['maxresults'] * 2) . "
		");
		while ($post = $db->fetch_array($posts))
		{
			$orderedids[] = $post['postid'];
		}
		unset($post);
		$db->free_result($posts);

// did we get some results?
		if (empty($orderedids))
		{
			eval(standard_error(fetch_error('searchnoresults', $displayCommon), '', false));
		}

// set display terms
		$display = array(
			'words' => array(),
			'highlight' => array(),
			'common' => array(),
			'users' => array($user['userid'] => $user['username']),
			'forums' => iif($showforums, $display['forums'], 0),
			'options' => array(
				'starteronly' => 0,
				'childforums' => 1,
				'action' => 'process'
			)
		);

// end search timer
		$searchtime = number_format(fetch_microtime_difference($searchtime), 5, '.', '');

/*insert query*/
		$db->query_write("
			REPLACE INTO " . TABLE_PREFIX . "search (userid, ipaddress, personal, searchuser, forumchoice, 
                 sortby, sortorder, searchtime, showposts, orderedids, dateline, displayterms, searchhash)
			VALUES (" . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . ", '" . $db->escape_string(IPADDRESS) . "', 1, '" . 
                     $db->escape_string($user['username']) . "', '" . $db->escape_string($forumchoice) .
                     "', 'post.dateline', 'DESC', $searchtime, 1, '" . $db->escape_string(implode(',', $orderedids)) .
                     "', " . TIMENOW . ", '" . $db->escape_string(serialize($display)) . "', '" .
                     $db->escape_string($searchhash) . "')
		");
		$searchid = $db->insert_id();

//$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$searchid&search=findthanks";
		$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$searchid";
		eval(print_standard_redirect('search'));
	}
}

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'findthanks_user_gave')
{
        $action = 'findthanks_user_gave';

'userid'	=> TYPE_UINT,
	));

// valid user id?
	if (!$vbulletin->GPC['userid'])
	{
	}

// get user info
	if ($user = $db->query_first("SELECT userid, username, posts FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user WHERE userid = " . $vbulletin->GPC['userid']))
	{
		$searchuser =& $user['username'];
	}
	// could not find specified user
	else
	{
	}

// build search hash
	$query = '';
	$exactname = 1;
	$starteronly = 0;
	$childforums = 1;
	$titleonly = 0;
	$showposts = 1;
	$searchdate = 0;
	$beforeafter = 'after';
	$replyless = 0;
	$replylimit = 0;
	$searchthreadid = 0;

$searchhash = md5(TIMENOW . "||" . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . "||" . strtolower($searchuser) .
             "||$exactname||$starteronly||$forumchoice||$childforums||$titleonly||$showposts||$searchdate||
             $beforeafter||$replyless||$replylimit||$searchthreadid");

//if ($search = $db->query_first("SELECT searchid FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "search AS search WHERE searchhash = '" . $db->escape_string($searchhash) . "'"))
	//{
	//	$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$search[searchid]";
	//}

// start search timer

$forumids = array();
	$noforumids = array();
	if ($forumids = fetch_search_forumids($vbulletin->GPC['forumchoice'], $vbulletin->GPC['childforums']))
	{
		$showforums = true;
	}
	else
	{
		{
			{
				$forumids[] = $forumid;
			}
		}
		$showforums = false;
	}

if (empty($forumids))
	{
	}
	else
	{

($_REQUEST['orderdate'])?$_ST="post_thanks.date":$_ST="post.dateline";

$orderedids = array();
			SELECT post_thanks.postid AS postid
			FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post_thanks AS post_thanks
			LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post AS post USING (postid)
			INNER JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "thread AS thread ON(thread.threadid = post.threadid)
			WHERE post_thanks.userid = $user[userid]
			ORDER BY $_ST DESC
		");
		{
		}
		unset($post);

if (empty($orderedids))
		{
		}

// set display terms
		$display = array(
			'words' => array(),
			'highlight' => array(),
			'common' => array(),
			'options' => array(
				'starteronly' => 0,
				'childforums' => 1,
				'action' => 'process'
			)
		);

// end search timer
		$searchtime = number_format(fetch_microtime_difference($searchtime), 5, '.', '');

/*insert query*/
		$db->query_write("
			REPLACE INTO " . TABLE_PREFIX . "search (userid, ipaddress, personal, searchuser, forumchoice, sortby, 
                      sortorder, searchtime, showposts, orderedids, dateline, displayterms, searchhash)
			VALUES (" . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . ", '" . $db->escape_string(IPADDRESS) . "', 1, '" .
                      $db->escape_string($user['username']) . "', '" . $db->escape_string($forumchoice) .
                      "', 'post.dateline', 'DESC', $searchtime, 1, '" . $db->escape_string(implode(',', $orderedids)) .
                      "', " . TIMENOW . ", '" . $db->escape_string(serialize($display)) . "', '" .
                      $db->escape_string($searchhash) . "')
		");

$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$searchid";
	}
}

if ($_REQUEST['do'] == 'findallthanks')
{

// build search hash
	$query = '';
	$exactname = 1;
	$starteronly = 0;
	$childforums = 1;
	$titleonly = 0;
	$showposts = 1;
	$searchdate = 0;
	$beforeafter = 'after';
	$replyless = 0;
	$replylimit = 0;
	$searchthreadid = 0;

"||$exactname||$starteronly||$forumchoice||$childforums||$titleonly||$showposts||$searchdate||
            $beforeafter||$replyless||$replylimit||$searchthreadid");

//{
	//}

// start search timer

$forumids = array();
	$noforumids = array();
	{
		$showforums = true;
	}
	else
	{
		{
			{
				$forumids[] = $forumid;
			}
		}
		$showforums = false;
	}

if (empty($forumids))
	{
	}
	else
	{
		$orderedids = array();
			SELECT postid
			FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "post AS post
			WHERE post.post_thanks_amount != 0
			ORDER BY post.dateline DESC
		");
		{
		}
		unset($post);

if (empty($orderedids))
		{
		}

// set display terms
		$display = array(
			'words' => array(),
			'highlight' => array(),
			'common' => array(),
			'options' => array(
				'starteronly' => 0,
				'childforums' => 1,
				'action' => 'process'
			)
		);

// end search timer

/*insert query*/
		$db->query_write("
			REPLACE INTO " . TABLE_PREFIX . "search (userid, ipaddress, personal, searchuser, forumchoice, 
                sortby, sortorder, searchtime, showposts, orderedids, dateline, displayterms, searchhash)
                $db->escape_string($user['username']) . "', '" . $db->escape_string($forumchoice) . "', 'post.dateline', 
                'DESC', $searchtime, 1, '" . $db->escape_string(implode(',', $orderedids)) . "', " . TIMENOW . ", '" .
                $db->escape_string(serialize($display)) . "', '" . $db->escape_string($searchhash) . "')
		");

}
}

($hook = vBulletinHook::fetch_hook('post_thanks_main_end')) ? eval($hook) : false;
?>

Hello Neo,

This new option to GO TO last answer on posts is AWESOME :b:

Thanks,
R. Singh

1 Like

My (old version45.8) firefox is slower now. When refreshing a page on www.unix.com, my firefox at the lower bar displays "Read use.fontawesome.com" for a couple of seconds. Also it does not display a proper login(?) icon at the upper right corner, and the Top 10 stats do not refresh. See the snapshot attached. At least the Top 10 stats work again, after I disabled thread preview animation.? Then, if I am replying to a thread, I see "What is on Your Mind?" in big letters, but the more important "Thread: New Icons Coming from Font Awesome" is very small. Last but not least, in Advanced Reply, after clicking Preview Post, my just typed message becomes reformatted and full of hard-to-read HTML tags. I click it several times so you can see it.

There is a networking issue in the US somewhere on the backbone.

Try traceroute :slight_smile:

Hopefully, the networking issues have passed everyone is loading all pages fast again.