Networking issue with Fedora 5

Hello all,

Am new to the linux game and have successfully installed FC5 onto an Acer Veriton 5100 series (P3) pc. Am having to install some RedHat servers in a few weeks running SAMBA, so I thought it would be a smart idea to start learning (well a similar OS) of how the package hangs together for when the hardware eventually arrives for the RedHat installs.

I've connected (cabled) it to my home router, but I've not yet been able to establish a connection to the LAN (or WAN).

The NIC adapter is built-in:: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller.

Am very lost in knowing what to do from here to resolve.
Any help really appreciated.

Cheers,
Cameron

First, you need to read basic Red Hat admin guides, like this one. Currently you can buy a used copy for around $3 on Amazon (see link).

Thanks for the link Neo.
We actually received the RedHat Enterprise Linux ES Ver 4 boxed set this morning (nice present), now just to wait for the servers to arrive. Thankfully all the pending hardware is HCL spec certified for RedHat.

Will search the CD's to see if there is a Users Guide or related doco to assist with getting Fedora to use the NIC in the PC at home.

Cheers,
Cameron

System > Administration > Network is a good place to start