MySQL dropped in favor of MariaDB

Fedora and openSUSE will replace MySQL with MariaDB:
Oracle who? Fedora & openSUSE will replace MySQL with MariaDB | ZDNet
The article also has a comment that Chakra is planning on doing the same. No doubt the Fedora based distributions are planning to do the same.

2 Likes

We have been contemplating moving the forums MySQL dB to MariaDB sometime later this year or maybe next.

Thank you for the heads-up. Once Slackware and Debian start making the same switch (or even contemplating the switch), then it is only a matter of time before all derivative distributions start doing the same and the future for MySQL is very chilly indeed.

I've done this on my personal servers and no issues to report for me at least.

i have been very proud about MySQL. but now i feel little sad when i read this news..

I felt the writing was on the wall way back when MySQL split into free and open "community" and expensive high-end "enterprise" versions. That's not open, and part of why Sun was able to waltz in and hijack it so easily, IMHO.

In the beginning it was not expensive at all: for 400 USD you would have lifetime support. In the early 2000s this was a popular option.

The point is it was already a closed-source, commercial entity. This made it far easier to purchase and corrupt, since you really can give them a deal they cannot refuse.