Moderator of the Year 2019 Award Announcement Only

Dear All,

We are happy to post that I will be announcing soon my award for "Moderator of the Year 2019". This is a new award which I plan to announce in December of each year, starting this year (2019). The prizes will be (still working out the details):

• A Moderator of the Year certificate, and
  • A new badge (TBD) for the "Moderator of the Year", and
  • A $250 USD cash award.

The criteria of "Moderator of the Year" is mostly subjective, based on my thoughts of which one of our many excellent Moderators were the most helpful to me and the forums, how they moderated the forum in that year, mostly around these three broad and sometimes overlapping areas:

• Forum / Community Rules and Guidelines: The generally means moderating posts, adding code tags (a never ending task), and in general, insuring the well-being of the community at large by encouraging users to follow the rules and guidelines and issuing infractions when necessary.
  • Working to Improving the Forums: Generating good ideas for new forum features, helping with coding tasks from time to time, and tracking down and fixing bugs.
  • Leading By Example: In general, this subjective criteria is about helping solve problems on the site when a problem arises, being a part of the solution (and not the problem), not complaining, but instead, taking postive actions to address issues as they arise. For example a Moderator who exhibits (1) honor, (2) integrity, and (3) humility.

Honestly, I am still working on the criteria and it's mostly subjective; based on my observation over the past year of the person at unix.com who has helped improve the forums the most over that year, in the three broad overlapping areas above.

The cash prize of $250 USD will be transferred via PayPal before the end of the year (between Christmas and New Years day), after the prize is awarded. I am still working on the certificate and the badge details.

Happy Holiday Season!

3 Likes

Hello Neo and all,

This is an excellent idea. I'm certainly not in the running and must apologise for having again been idle and returned to Emeritus status. I'm sure not to have surpassed by most moderators too and although I try, but can't keep up given the 'fun' of family, community & that horrible word "work" getting in the way.

I'm still delighted to keep learning and hopefully contributing when I can. As the seasonal greetings have now officially started, I would wish to convey my warmest wishes to the team in this festive season (trying to avoid being too unashamedly Christian and getting censored)

Don't ask me to vote, there are too many good people to choose from.

Kindest regards,
Robin

1 Like

I changed your status back to Moderator. If you perform one moderation task in the past 60 days (which is not very much to ask for), you will not be automatically moved to the FAs.

There is no public voting or nominations, don't worry :slight_smile:

OBTW: I have already received a number of nominations via private (direct) messages.

Happy Holiday Season.

Glad you have your priorities straight (family) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update:

This year we have a a tie for "Moderator of the Year" 2019, and will be making the formal announcement this month.

Also, the "Poster of the Year" 2019, as also been selected as well. Will also announce later this month when I have a chance.

Cheers!