MkLinux, almost done

I wouldn't say I'm a unix dummy, or a unix expert, but I have few other options. So I installed MkLinux on an old powermac 6100 I had around. I got it up and running too, its on my network, its apache web server works (though I need to install PHP) I downloaded the RC5-72 client and it runs great. There are a few things I need help with though. It has an FTP server running, but I can't figure out how to configure it so that I can upload. WIth upload ability, I can connect to the computer in the finder and edit the pages its going to host directly in GoLive. The other problem is SSH. I want SSH, so I tried to install OpenSSH. When I compile, it complains about libcrypto and SSL, so I installed OpenSSL. That seemed to go fine, except that OpenSSH, when I try to compile, is still unhappy. Thats really just about it. This machine isn't going to do much. There is an alternative though, referring back to ftp. Is there an Apple File-sharing Protocol server for unix? I know someone makes a samba server for unix. That would be even better, but FTP will do if it needs to.

My suggestion is to be patient and get SSH up and running. Please feel free to post your exact error messages and we will guide you.

Neo

OK

When i "./configure" OpenSSH, it runs through many many checks, then finally tells me the following,
"configure: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see config.log for details) ***"
(of coarse the log just said the same thing over again)
Then I downloaded, configured, make'd, and installed OpenSSL. And It seemed to go through fine, no errors or anything, but OpenSSH still tells me the same thing when I try to compile it.

Type:

ldconfig -p

and you will see a list of of directories and candidate libraries stored in the current cache.

Do your crypto libs show up in the library cache?

If not, you might need to explicitly add your runtime libs by name in:

/etc/ld.so.conf

After you do, you will need to run ldconfig again to update the cache. Suggest you take a look at the ldconfig manpage. for more info and clues.

That should do the trick. Let us know what you find out.

ldconfig: command not found

:confused:

Try:

/sbin/ldconfig -p

jesus!! that worked but it scrolls its output for about 5 seconds on the screen. How can i get it to output in a way that i can scroll through?

Try this:

/sbin/ldconfig -p | more

Its not in there, I have to libcrypt libraries, but no libcrypto. Also I don't really understand what I am supposed to add to the ld.so.conf file. That path to the .a file? That doesn't seem right and doesn't seem to match the stuff thats already in my ld.so.conf file. Please advise

You can move your new libs to one of the directories specified in the ld config file.

Then simply run ldconfig to update the cache.

OK I moved my libcrypto.a file to the /isr/lib folder, then I rebooted, but when it came back up it will wouldn't compile OpenSHH, it got the same error, and when I use ldconfig to list the libraries, its still not listed When I run a simple "/sbin/ldconfig" i get the following error...
Can't unlink /etc/ld.so.cache~ (Permission denied)
Should I sudo it?

OK, I tried it with sudo, and I no longer get that error, but is seems to have no effect, the library, apparently, still isn't loading???

Yes, because the lib???.a files are static libs that must be statically linked (normally when you compile).

lib????.so files are shared libs that are loaded at run time.

I forgot to mention this earlier, assuming you had shared libs and not static libs.

If you only have .a libs you can set your environmental variable to point to the directory that contains your static libs when you compile, OR move your static lib to a directory already in your LDPATH environmental variable.

Either way, you have to find a way to instruct your linker where to find the static library.

Are you compiling with GCC?

Neo

Whoa ok slow down you jsut went way over my head there I'm all confused. I did move my .a file to /usr/lib and i don't know what compiler im using, whatever comes wih MkLinux i guess right?

Might be a good idea to snoop around a get back to us about the details of your compiler. I would guess you have GCC (not sure what version).

Also, can you post your SSH Makefile?

Also try these command and post the result:

gcc -v

make -v

also, it might help to read the ld manpage:

man ld

gcc -v
gcc version 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)
make -v
GNU Make version 3.78.1 etc etc built for powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu

I don't seem to have a makefile, i'm looking in the OpenSSH folder, is it somewhere else maybe?

The home/root directory of your SSH distro should have a file called:

Makefile

I don't appear to have such a file.

My guest is that since ./configure failed, then you don't have a Makefile yet, since that would be the part of the output of ./configure.

Try moving the lib you built to /lib or /usr/lib and run ./configure again.

Neo