MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago.

After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave.

Then, after getting back at my desk a few days later, it took me quite some time to recover from the macOS 10.15 Catalina meltdown.

The good news is that it's up and running again with a mid June time machine backup of Mojave.

The bad news is that I cannot trust Apple these days and have removed my Apple ID from the "beta program" until further notice.

Even more good news is that my systems will not be crashing and freezing up on reboot :slight_smile:

Anyway, I don't see any new feature in Catalina that is useful for me personally and I like the Mojave visuals better than the Catalina visuals :wink:

Just did another upgrade attempt, this time to Mojave 10.14.6 and it crashed my MacBook Air again!

ERROR_7E7AEE96CA

Again, it will not restore from a recent time machine backup, even though I made a full backup before attempting to upgrade! Darn! What is up with Apple????

Will have to reinstall macOS from the net and recover / migrate from my time machine backup.

I am a hard-core Mac user, with four Macs (One 12 core 2013 Mac Pro, one Mac Mini and two MacBook Airs, two iPhones), and this is really getting annoying!

Am I going to attempt to upgrade my Mac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6? NO WAY!

1 Like

I wonder if its not to do with some untested hardware issue since apple using intel processors seem to have changed regularly the inners, things less current when under powerPC ( I still have 2 of them...). I am trying to figure out what in high sierra can make my powerbook pro of 2011 over heat... ( because I burnt my motherboard (graphics...) beginning July ) or go berserk from time to time, I have just assembled a new one but this time a late 2011 motherboard after buying a 2012 for later usage, and again it reaches over 40 C after 15 minutes not doing anything special, the 2012 is already in mojave but so far not much time to play with as still sick and just finished a 3 weeks antibiotics treatment... but into as I dont know anything about the inners of the Mac Pro and mac mini but if like the laptops I would not be surprised... Not insisting for now as we have a heat wave passing just now and was 34C yesterday ( last time it was 36C here...) Monday 25C announced so I will try again...
AS now Im using my wife's ( my ex-hospital usage laptop...) Macbook air which is now under Mojave and am surprised that it stays cool doing exactly the same thing and yes it does heat when I start heavy usage but never like the Macbook pro which can exceed 45 after only 15 minutes when I use it seriously...
My idea was to investigate on the heating control, could it be faulty for my old HW and so not reacting in time? as like you before burning it did crash a few times without to me any reason and I could not see anything in the logs explaining except a panic but can't find the cause...

Trying a time machine restore for the second time (after checking the external hard disk, my backup disk, again) ....

Let's see what happens.

LOL, next time I'll clean the dirty screen before taking a photo ... hahaha (embarrassing) ... was in my luggage just back from a road trip.

Note: I thought this (before) was a Catalina Beta issue; but now upgrading Mojave give the same darn "installation" crash!

Well, at least it is restored back to Mojave 10.14.6 Beta..... from my TM backup.

Hi Neo...

I am certainly getting a little cheesed off with Apple's attitude; their latest incarnation...

This has nailed the coffin lid on Apple for me now, I will not be buying another Apple item:

Apple locks new iPhone batteries to prevent third-party repair, report says | Ars Technica

This, along with, the hardware interface added between MOBO and HDD to make the FORCED? encrypted DRIVE impossible to read from or write to from an external live linux boot source.
This addition supposedly makes it _impossible_ to install another OS on an external drive, let alone the internal one.
Not quite true there is a back door and this current MBP with its builtin HW add-on I have been able to fool it.
I still can't read or write to the internal drive but I run this current full install Linux mint 19 on it without any problems from both USB stick and this current external HDD...

EDIT:
I have 2 MBPs, 1 iMac, and 1 iPad...

wisecracker, do you encrypt your macOS hard drives?

-------------------------

On another note.... finally I got Mojave 10.14.6 upgraded on my MacBook Air.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but my best guess is that is was related to being (previously) a member of the Apple Beta Testers program. Maybe these problems will go away over time since I have un-enrolled as an Apple Developer Beta Tester on all devices?! I don't recall any benefits for being a beta tester anyway :slight_smile: but I have experienced a mountain of macOS crashes over time which I never seem to have before.

About the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

It makes the platform unable to install Linux, """apparently""" on external drives too.

There is this, but I have already found a way...
Don't Panic, You Can Boot Linux on Apple's New Devices - OMG! Ubuntu!

I have finally moved all my 4 Macs off the Developer Beta Program (or whatever they call it); and am currently running

Mojave 14.6.5

... on three of my "main macs".

Still have an older backup MBA which cannot run Mojave.

Anyway, I'm "off" the Apple beta program; got very little benefit but experienced a lot of pain (system crashes, freezes on installation and reboot, etc.) from being enrolled.

I miss Steve Jobs being at Apple... since he has departed the world, Apple has not been the same and the quality and design updates has gone down hill. True innovation at Apple is gone under Tim Cook, unfortunately.

Beta programs are there to find and fix problems :slight_smile: They are not meant for end users but for users willing to help Apple find and fix issues. Sadly participants prefer to suffer in silence and complain instead of reporting the issues back to the developers so they can fix them before the final release goes out. The systems are not expected to work flawlessly - and using old ass hardware and expecting everything is gonna work is a bit illusive (though I have participated on pretty much every beta program since they exist on at least 5-6 year old laptops and the only problem so far that I faced was that my external disks would not work without a driver upgrade. I can live with that :slight_smile:
I am not sure why I would want to run linux on a baremetal mac - but nothing is preventing me from running various linux and windows versions on virtual machines with unencrypted internal and external disks - throughout the past 5 OSx upgrades - and still without problems - on a 2013 mac :slight_smile:

I'm running the public releases of Catalina on three of my four Macs now, and it runs fine.

As I said in my post, I am out of the BETA program, and I am a long time BETA member and Apple developer person.

It's not the same as years ago, Apple BETA releases crash way too much; and my hardware is fine, MacBook Airs, MacPro, MacMini. I don't run macOS on anything but Apple hardware.

I don't have time to debug Apple's beta releases anymore and in my opinion, the bugs are far more more serious and frequent the longer time has moved into the post Steve Jobs era at Apple.

Steve Jobs was a visionary, innovated, brash, perfectionist. I miss his leadership at Apple.

But that is just me, I guess .... :slight_smile: