laptop - flickering display

i have installed ubuntu 9.0.4 on my laptop and i have a display problem
my laptop display flickers from time to time while i am using it

and to me it is kind of annoying

please reply

thanks

Do you mean your console or your graphics display is flickering?

If it is your screen that is flickering i suggest you check the refresh rate being using against the spec of your machine: System -> Preferences - Display
Mine is set to Auto, in your case you may to override it.

It is the graphics display I heard someone wrote to me and they said that the flickering has to do with the power mangement is this true?

Flickering is normally caused by a configuation problem, more often that not, the configuration error is in the refresh rates.

For example, see this and/or this Google search.

See also this entry on xorg.conf and this thread on xorg.conf and ubuntu.

nothing is working for me I have done some research any iseas
???

This is one of those annoying problems which I cannot solve in 9.04.
I had no problems with 8.04 before.
In fact I posted a couple of messages on these other boards the other day about this problem.
I hope they come out with a patch because they have made Ubuntu 9.04 similar to MAC where we as the users do not have an easy way of customizing anything, it is a package deal and if you dont like it, TUFF!
(this has been my take, of course I am no expert..)

But the xorg.conf has become almost obsolete and then in GUI you dont have any control over the driver settings?!
I think that is terrible.
In any case as you probably already know, in older versions of Ubuntu you could use different refresh rates (as some 1 already said) and raise it from like 60 Hz to 70 (or vice versa) and take care of the problem. But I have not found any solutions yet.

Did you try using different refresh rates in System>Preferences>Screen Resolution?