Laptop buying help

Are there any laptops that have at least 1080p, a big hard drive, and at least 4 USB TYPE a ports (this seems to be the hard part to find). Every laptop I have seen has at most two USB TYPE a ports.

what is wrong in using a little USB hub?

1 Like

Hi,

You'd be hard-pressed these days to find a laptop with four USB A ports I suspect. The laptop I'm issued with by my work is an HP Elitebook x360, and it has two USB-A and two USB-C ports. The trend these days is definitely to go for as few ports as possible.

I think you'd probably have to compromise on your port types, with an adapter/dongle to convert the USB-C connections to USB-A, most likely. Having said all that I'm not by any means familiar with the laptop market in general these days, so others may have better suggestions. But failing that, a decent hub as per @vbe's suggestion would also be a perfectly good option.

1 Like

I use a 4 port USB hub with mine - have no issues ... And they are relatively cheap!

Hi

no matter what you buy you probably need to specify how much data you need and how fast it needs to be.
Criteria:
Port 1;: is for printer, USB Type A ? Low speed & low data size
Port 2: Is for keyboard , USB Type A?
Port 3: Is for mouse, USB Type A ?
Port 4: Is for network device master control USB TYPE ???? ?

Given this information you may get a decent response

Generally speaking the LAPTOPS have very fast USB 3 or USB 3C ports these days
If you need to connect a few external Hard Disk or SSD drives you probably want the USB 3C ports.

If you need USB 3C ports: the best and fastest USB connection
Then the solution is to have a HUB or two connected.
If you already have the drives and you have USB ports that are not Type 3C then you may need to go
Get the adaptors - I have 2 sets of 6 adaptors.
SET 1 goes from USB male to female
SET 2 goes from USB female to male
Obviously one end is USB 3C and the other is USB 3 only : small end and large end.

4 ports is a big ask. I have seen what they call an 8 port USB 3 HUB.

If you are in Sydney - Castle Hill (Victoria Road) has these at JW computers

Good luck

1 Like

Are USB hub's slow? I wanted to use them for external HD's.

@ cjt007

Sorry about that.
Port 1: Mouse
Port 2: Keyboard
Port 3: External HD
Port 4: External HD

It is always the same: how much are you ready to pay the hub that suits your demand...