Installing sco5

Attempting to install sco5 off sata cd, when it gets to install device there are no sata options

Hello,

Welcome to the forum ! We hope you find this to be a friendly and helpful place, and that you enjoy your time here.

Firstly, what version of SCO OpenServer 5 exactly are you installing (e.g. 5.0.5, 5.0.7, etc.) ? That's important, as it will determine precisely what hardware will be supported.

Having said that however - I think (though I could be wrong - my SCO experience largely dates from the turn of the century) that if you want to use SATA drives with a SCO OpenServer 5.x install, you'd need to have those drives attached to a RAID controller that used a driver that OpenServer supported. Direct support for SATA is very unlikely to work in OpenServer 5.x, unless you somehow have third-party drivers you can add at installation time that enable support for your specific SATA controller and/or drives.

If you're trying to install OpenServer 5 straight onto modern/recent hardware, SATA will only be one of your problems. Support for modern CPU, memory and motherboard architectures is likely to be spotty at best, and entirely missing at worst. This is a version of SCO that is at least twenty years old at this point.

The one exception to this might be if you're using SCO OpenServer 5 Definitive Version. I've no direct experience with this whatsoever, but it is, I believe, the currently-sold-and-supported-by-Xinuos version of OpenServer 5, and has the best chance of supporting modern hardware. But if you're using old actual genuine SCO install media for a late 90s/early 2000s release of OpenServer 5, and you're attempting a bare metal install, then I don't much fancy your chances of getting SATA working.

1 Like

There were certainly issues with early versions of SCO 5 not supporting SATA devices.

What is the hardware exactly?

Although it's been a long time since I managed a SCO system, the two things I woudl try are:

1. Depending on the hardware, you might have a BIOS option to set SATA support to 'legacy' thereby allowing an operating system to address SATA devices as PATA.
  2. Try downloading a suitable SATA driver and define it in a 'defbootstr' at the boot prompt on installation. I think the driver you may need is 'wd' but I'm not sure. The problem might be what media you can put the driver on if the machine does not have a floppy drive (which is where the install routine used to look for it). However, I know that you should be able to swap the DVD/CD installation media for a DVD/CD containing the driver and then swap back once it's loaded. I'm not sure whether you could use a USB stick for loading the driver.

In summary, it is missing a suitable SATA driver to address the devices.

1 Like

Install it as a VM using VirtualBox, pick Linux as the host.

From ChatGPT:

It is possible that the system you are installing SCO5 on does not have SATA drivers included in the installation media. In this case, you will need to obtain the appropriate drivers and add them to the installation media before proceeding with the installation.

To do this, you will need to create a custom bootable SCO5 installation media that includes the SATA drivers. You can do this by booting the system from a bootable SCO5 installation USB or floppy disk and adding the SATA drivers to the appropriate location on the installation media before starting the installation.

Alternatively, you can try to use a SCO5 installation media that includes the SATA drivers for your system. If you are using a SCO5 installation DVD, you can check if it includes the SATA drivers by looking for a directory on the DVD called "sata". If the "sata" directory is present, then the installation DVD includes the SATA drivers for your system and you should be able to proceed with the installation.

If you are still unable to install SCO5 after trying these steps, please provide more information about the system you are trying to install SCO5 on (e.g. make and model of the motherboard) and the exact error message that you are encountering. This will help me to better understand the issue and provide more specific troubleshooting advice.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.