installation on a laptop!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Hi.

I am tring to install solaris 8 on my laptop. i completely installed it and when the screen pops up it all grey and ugly... Man.. i am having this problem for days... i went to xfree86 site and download some univerisal drivers and that didn't work.. Man i need your guys help this is a pain..... If anyone have any clue about installing solaris 8 (intel) please post... And the one that monitor this site.... Please help i know your a guru... by the way my laptop is asus l8400 with ati radeon mobilty video card... thanks in advance and have a happy new year... !!!!!!!!!!

What is the chipset used by your video card?

I have come across this problem when I tried to install Solaris on a PC. It looks as though your graphics card is not fully supported by Solaris.

On my PC I could change the graphics car. I don't know what you are going to do.:confused:

You will probably be better off running a different flavor of UNIX. SUN is not going to be supporting the INTEL chip because of cut-backs. Besides, the support of video has always been lousy for Solaris x86 (Don't get me wrong...I'm a Solaris Admin).

I've heard that Linux has better support for the laptop.

I had the same sort of problem while installing Solaris on my Intel Laptop. I had to try many different drivers and hope for the good one. So it looks like trial-and-error. And many error :slight_smile:

I would go buy a version of either RedHat or Mandrake at yor local bookstore.

They are only $30 or so. They load great on a laptop. Very easy to install.

Incidentally, I had an old distribution of Solaris that loaded fine on my Dell Latitude 500 MHZ.

i downloading the port driver kit found at sun.com.. after installation i made a stupid mistake since my laptop is 14inch screen. so i selected 14 inch monitor that the reason why it wasn't working correctly. when i ran a kdmconfig and select xfree86 and my video cardi select 10 inch and it worksssssssss........ if you have any problems with installing on your guys laptop feel free to post and i can help, it not hard, dum mistake will get you thinking... okay.. guys thanks for everything

Check out http://www.xig.com for a patch for the pcmcia and graphics driver problems.
The patches are free of cost.
Also, the Xfree86 drivers should do the trick as well.
You'll probably have to chose the right parameters through kdmconfig, that's all.

hth.