Install Zabbix agent on Solaris 11

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a few Solaris servers in Zabbix. I did some googling and RTFMing and found there where two ways.

1. Download and install pre-compiled Zabbix agent from Zabbix

or

2.To download and install from opencsw

I downloading the pre-compiled Zabbix agent from Zabbix and when unzipping all I got was bin,sbin and conf folders.

Bin has - zabbix_get zabbix_sender
Sbin has - zabbix_agentd
Conf has - zabbix_agentd zabbix_agentd.conf

Nothing in there to install zabbix, like a .sh file.

I then moved onto option 2 which installed and I have change the conf to point to my Zabbix server but there is not service running or zabbix-agent service to start.

Has any one have any experience in setting this up or able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Why not just put the bin files in bin folders and config files in /etc/zabbix and make sure your paths work together and go for it?

Hi Neo,

sorry I don't follow. Don't I need to install it first? the was no 'install.sh' file with the pre-compiled Zabbix agent. and the opencsw give these install instructions

pkgadd -d get.opencsw.org/now
/opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -U
/opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -y -i zabbix_agent 
/usr/sbin/pkgchk -L CSWzabbix-agent # list files

The output of /usr/sbin/pkgchk -L CSWzabbix-agent # list files being

/etc/opt/csw/zabbix_agent.conf.CSW f cswpreserveconf 0644 root bin 2272 63346 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/etc/opt/csw/zabbix_agent.conf.d d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent
/etc/opt/csw/zabbix_agentd.conf.CSW f cswpreserveconf 0644 root bin 5764 20316 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/etc/opt/csw/zabbix_agentd.conf.d d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/sparcv8plus/zabbix_get f none 0755 root bin 142284 55650 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/sparcv8plus/zabbix_sender f none 0755 root bin 162080 44740 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/sparcv9/zabbix_get f none 0755 root bin 166240 25256 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/sparcv9/zabbix_sender f none 0755 root bin 190416 20703 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/zabbix_get=/opt/csw/bin/isaexec l none CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/bin/zabbix_sender=/opt/csw/bin/isaexec l none CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/sparcv8plus/zabbix_agent f none 0755 root bin 432756 17550 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/sparcv8plus/zabbix_agentd f none 0755 root bin 497272 34563 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/sparcv9 d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/sparcv9/zabbix_agent f none 0755 root bin 483816 12088 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/sparcv9/zabbix_agentd f none 0755 root bin 554752 37902 1340696534 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/zabbix_agent=/opt/csw/bin/isaexec l none CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/sbin/zabbix_agentd=/opt/csw/bin/isaexec l none CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/doc/zabbix_agent d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/doc/zabbix_agent/license f none 0644 root bin 17991 30402 1340697025 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/man/man1 d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent CSWpkgutil
/opt/csw/share/man/man1/zabbix_get.1 f none 0644 root bin 997 15578 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/man/man1/zabbix_sender.1 f none 0644 root bin 3274 22681 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/man/man8 d none 0755 root bin CSWzabbix-agent
/opt/csw/share/man/man8/zabbix_agentd.8 f none 0644 root bin 911 10795 1340696530 CSWzabbix-agent

But there is no service to start.

Just install it manually. Why not? What have you got to lose?

Ah right. I don't know how to do it. When you say install manually would this be just unzipping the pre-compiled Zabbix agent and moving all the bin file to /bin, then created the folder /etc/zabbix and move the conf files there? and move all the sbin file into /sbin ?

Hi,

I've never used Zabbix, but it's likely that the way to start it would be to run it as a legacy service - which will mean that you'll have to create a manifest. Alternatively you could write your own start "start|stop|restart" script and put it in /etc/init.d and link back to /etc/rc3.d to start it.

If you are running on an x86 version I'd think that there would be more help than the SPARC version.

I would start looking here for information.

Regards

Gull04

OK thanks gull04. I did start with the zabbix forums, be no one has any information about install the agent on solaris. There not even any documentation from Zabbix them selfs. Will keep looking.

Hi,

In that case, I'd just be tempted to write your own "start|stop|restart" and put it into /etc/init.d with the Start and Kill in /etc/rc3.d. Check this thread out - I know it's AIX but the example is valid.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like

Guys,

You don't need to jump to writing a startup script until you install the binary files, the config files; and manually start of the process to make sure it works.

Just install (copy) the zabbix binaries to any bin folder you want (based on other installations if that makes you happy), and install (copy) the config files to somewhere in /etc, like /etc/zabbix

(maybe the files are already copied to their final resting places?)

Then, try to start the zabbix agent.

It will give you an error.

The error will be something like "cannot find config file in /etc/zabbix.config.blah.blah and then move to the config file to where the zabbix agent wants it to be.

If you did something like this, you would already have it up and running. It's not rocket science :slight_smile:

You (sph919) are looking for a clear instruction on something you can easily do in less than a 1/2 hour with a bit of trial and error.

1 Like

PS: Your server will not catch on fire if you try to get zabbix up and running by trial and error :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Solved my own problem so thought I would share it.

Download the pre-compiled Zabbix agents from zabbix
In my case it was

zabbix_agents_3.2.0.solaris10.sparc.tar.gz

(although its for Solaris 10 it will work on 11)

Extract the files

tar -xvzf zabbix_agents_3.2.0.solaris10.sparc.tar.gz

You will have the following folders

sbin/
bin/
conf/

Now move the content of the files to there system folders eg

mv /export/home/username/conf/zabbix_agentd.conf /etc/
mv /export/home/username/conf/zabbix_agentd /etc/
mv /export/home/username/bin/zabbix_sender /bin/
mv /export/home/username/bin/zabbix_get /bin/
mv /export/home/username/sbin/zabbix_agentd /sbin/

Edit your zabbix_agentd.conf to point to your Zabbix server and add the host servers name.

Now run :

/sbin/zabbix_agentd -c /etc/zabbix_agentd.conf 

to start the agent

Add it to your Zabbix server and your done.

Note that the pre-compiled Zabbix agent for Solaris was not compiled without TLS support

Also, as an option, or you can compile zabbix_agent from the source files from

sourceforge /projects/zabbix/files/ZABBIX20Latest20Stable/3.4.15/zabbix-3.4.15.tar.gz/download

Install the required dependencies and gcc (gnu-compiler) + make.
untar the source code

Follow this manual: on

zabbix documentation/3.4/manual/installation/install#installing_zabbix_daemons
./configure --enable-agent

The zabbix_sender, zabbix_get and zabbix_agentd + conf file will be place under the /usr/local/ directories.

1 Like