In case you are in need of nerdy T-Shirt inscriptions

Sysadmins seem to have a universal liking for T-Shirts with some nerd-humour written on it. Here are two highlights i ran across:

/bb|[^b]\{2\}/

(Shakespeare: "2 b or NOT 2 b")

The second one is SQL, but pretty self-explanatory once you try the gesture with your own hand:

SELECT finger
FROM hand
WHERE id=3;

bakunin

3 Likes

<nerd_mode>
That SQL is ambiguous. It can address the middle finger (assuming a 1-based index), the ring finger (assuming a little-endian (starting to count on the right) zero-based index) or the index finger (big-endian zero-based index).
</nerd_mode>

scnr

P.S: Personally, I prefer "Go 42 yourself"

Well, I'm probably going to look like a dweeb, but I don't get it... :o :confused: :o

Count to 4 using your fingers, in base 2 :wink:

ROFL :smiley: But I don't feel too bad about not getting it. It reminds me of a tee-shirt I saw though...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't.

Haha... In the US "the finger" is a binary 4 ..
We don't usually give a 42... Haha

Hey! As a goofy research project today, I searched the web and could not find any reference to an obscene finger gesture that is a binary 42, ROTFL. Sticking out the middle finger (the standard western "finger") would seem to be a binary 4, or a 2, depending on how you count.

42??

What am I missing? LOL

Sorry for the confusion. In HTML it would be

4<sub>2</sub>

, but since there's no subscript BBcode I used [SIZE] instead, which might not be instantly recognizable.

I won't use your nerd mode tage because they would be redundant. I'm always in nerd mode. :wink:

4<sub>2</sub> does not really make sense. Something like 101<sub>2</sub> would work. The subscript 2 is used to indicate that a number is already in base 2. It's not an operator that acts on a base 10 number.

Still in nerd mode and proud of it. :slight_smile:

I had to seal that area off, otherwise I'd have to pick on my own post, and knowing myself, pick on my picking on my own post, and then pick on my picking on my picking on my own post, and then ERROR: stack full, reseting.....

The idea is not to be too exact, but to leave a (small) clue for those who know how to count binary on what to do.

Ah, 4 Base-2, not "42"... got it, ROTFL Another "where is the subscript?" moment :slight_smile:

... we need some subscript BB code!

Done

from

2 Likes

I'm so glad i could be of any help in developing the board further with my thread.

ROFLMAO

bakunin

btw: the two black T-shirts with above content arrived yesterday. I will post a photo wearing them the next days.