I want to know the cluster command

Insufficient understanding of the commands below. I want to know what it means.

cldg set -p localonly=true dsk/d0
clrs create -t HAStoragePlus -g gds-rg > -p AffinityOn=true -p Zpools=gds-pool gds-stor
clrslh create -g gds-rg -h osc-lh gds-lh

What documentation should I look at to understand the meaning of these commands?

Best regards.
Thank you.

From our friend ChatGPT:

It looks like these are commands for a Cloud Debugger (cldg), Cloud Storage (clrs), and Cloud Load Balancer (clrslh) system. Without more context, it's difficult to know exactly what these commands do, but here is a general overview of what each command might be doing:

• cldg set -p localonly=true dsk/d0: This command might be used to set a debugging option called "localonly" to "true" for a disk called "d0".
  • clrs create -t HAStoragePlus -g gds-rg -p AffinityOn=true -p Zpools=gds-pool gds-stor: This command might be used to create a new Cloud Storage resource with type "HAStoragePlus" in a resource group called "gds-rg". It also sets two properties: "AffinityOn" to "true" and "Zpools" to "gds-pool". The new storage resource is given the name "gds-stor".
  • clrslh create -g gds-rg -h osc-lh gds-lh: This command might be used to create a new Cloud Load Balancer in a resource group called "gds-rg", with a health check called "osc-lh" and the name "gds-lh".

To understand these commands in more detail, you might try looking at the documentation for the specific tools or systems that these commands are intended for. Additionally, you might try looking for usage examples or tutorials for these tools to see how these commands are typically used in practice.

See also:

https://chat.openai.com/chat/e991d03c-6d34-4827-853d-964e260413f8

1 Like

Thank you every time.

Hello,

I'm not familiar with Oracle Solaris clustering myself (which is what this would appear to be), but Oracle generally maintain quite good on-line documentation for most things. The clustering documentation (which includes the usage information for these commands) can be found here:

Oracle Solaris Cluster Reference Manual

Also, as an additional point of information: usually (though admittedly not always), your own local system will contain documentation for any command you want to learn more about, in the form of a man page. The man pages (an on-line manual, more or less) can be accessed via the man command. So for example, you could try typing man cldevicegroup, and if your system has an appropriate man page installed, then the man page for the cldevicegroup command will be displayed.

Lastly - if there is anyone else on the local site who is more familiar with Solaris clustering, your absolute best bet for learning about how this is set up and how it all works is to go and talk to them. Clearly this system must have been running for some time, and if there are other system administrators who are familiar with its setup (and more importantly, who would know all the little unique features and configurations used in this particular cluster that might perhaps differ from the standard), talking to them would be the best way to get up-to-speed on what these clustering features are, and how they operate.

Hope this helps !

Thank you.
It was very helpful.

Does cl stand for cloud or cluster?

Hello,

In this case I think "cluster" is the intended meaning of the cl prefix, yes. This appears to be the modern-day version of the original Sun Cluster stuff from the Solaris 2.x days.

Looks to me like ChatGPT is calling a Sun "cluster" a "cloud" and babbling a kind of nonsense?

Is there a reason for that seemingly big mistake?

See, for example:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19787-01/820-4685/6ng4psvc1/index.html

See Also more Babble from CGPT:

https://chat.openai.com/chat/e991d03c-6d34-4827-853d-964e260413f8

See, CGPT is a politician :slight_smile: Here is what the AI does with @drysdalk's reply:

1 Like

'cldg' is an abbreviation of Cluster Device Group.

In fact you can use that as a long-form command name:

cldevicegroup

In a cluster, devices have to be grouped together by the sysadmin to ensure that, in the event of a failover, all devices/disks in a group move together (from one node to another) otherwise the resources to run the applications would not be available to the node configured to run them after the failover.

2 Likes

Here's a Solaris Cluster Cheatsheet that some kind soul published.

ClusterCheatSheet.pdf (236.2 KB)

3 Likes

And also.......disk volumes in a cluster need to be 'shared' somehow, either by being dual-tailed from a SAN or NAS, or mirrored from one node to the other by hardware or software RAID. Depending on the 'cluster suite' being used (and different manufacturers provide different solutions), filesystems orphaned by a CPU failure can be mounted on a surviving node (by the cluster suite), integrity checked (by the cluster suite), and brought into service (by the cluster suite). Apps that use that data can then be (re)started (by the cluster suite).

That's very bascially how it hang together.

2 Likes

Thanks to your help, we were able to complete the cluster construction safely.

Thank you all.

Best regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.