How Will the World End?

How will the world end (someday long into the future, we hope)?

The answer, I suppose, largely depends on the meaning of the question.

Does it mean when the earth ceases to exist? Or does it mean when life as we know it ceases to exist?

For the latter, I would fancy humans destroying themselves before aliens had half a chance.

For the former, I'd subscribe to "the universe doesn't have the gravitational force to continue expanding and will eventually implode into the singularity from whence it came" theory (which other, more notable, people have more eloquently put than I just did :))

By the time any of this happens, I should have posted my tax return. Phew.

All are eelcome to write in your "how the world will end" scenarios and interpret "the end" as you like :smiley:

The poll permits write in votes....

Basically we are talking about life on Earth...

I imagine most civilizations in this universe will blow themselves up relatively quickly, that is to say, destroy the conditions that allowed them to flourish. If they are smart they last longer. If they are really smart they will devise a way to escape their planet in time before the big asteroid destroys their planet or they blow themselves up. I think evolution will determine which civilizations will survive. I fear ours has too many flaws to make it eventually..

I think eventually humans will wipe each other out through war; Then the Earth would become so polluted that the few survivors will die from radiation/illness/poisoning, etc.

PS: I wish there was an option for zombies.

Write-in votes are encouraged.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S mobile.

Wake up from the dream - When we realize who we are then that instant world ends for us.

That's not the question......This is not a religious or spiritual discussion, sorry.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S mobile.

---------- Post updated 2010-09-28 at 06:05 ---------- Previous update was 2010-09-27 at 21:35 ----------

I would like to remind all who might respond ..... it has been our long standing policy here at The UNIX and Linux forums to discourage (and delete) posts about politics and religion.

This poll was created to be based on physical events that might end life on Earth some (hopefully very long) time in the future. It is not a discussion on individual spiritual or religious belief systems.

Thank you for your understanding!

:smiley:

---------- Post updated at 06:10 ---------- Previous update was at 06:05 ----------

Note: I added a new category Other (Personal, Spiritual) ... to try to be accommodating.

This is getting better!

Less serious and more humor!

Thanks!

:smiley: :smiley:

I've change my vote..

Too much of chill and laughter, die of stomach pain

Guy!

This is about "the world" ending.. all life on the planet.. not one person!

What are you thinking, matrixmadhan?

So hard to stay on topic?

:smiley:

The sun shoudn't ever nova or supernova, being a main-sequence star, but will eventually expand into a red giant and swallow up most of the inner planets instead.

Good catch.

We should edit the poll and correct the error on the main-sequence red giant.

Thanks!

We needn't worry about the end, if the epistemologists would have it: there is no past and no future, there is only a present.

I don't care... my tax return was posted on time.

If anything is going to happen, let it, before they send me a present (i,.e. the bill) :smiley:

1 Like

The last post was a week ago. Did I sleep through a cataclysmic event?

It gets bumped whenever anyone votes, whether they post or not.

Some spiritual things may cause to the end.

Well, I picked the giant sun thing. But I think somewhat literally. I'm pretty sure that the sun will eventually destroy the world. Not so sure that this event will destroy the human race.